Editing Data in a Form vs. Data Sheet

Hello - I am new to Panorama - I am using this build on an M1 Pro machine. I have a interesting situation.

I created a new table and then used the construct form feature to see how the form works in regards to the table view.

I noticed when I select a row in the table view the form data looks correct (as one would expect). If I make a change in the form and then confirm my change with the Enter key. The change is made in the tableview and all is right.

I found, if I make a change in the form and then don’t hit Enter and just change the row on the table view Panorama gets confused and I have experienced a few different effects including: 1) Panorama froze and I had to Force close it 2) the tableview and form view get out of sync and part of different rows are showing in the form and the change made is not shown in the table 3) other misalignment between the form and the table occur. The good news, I don’t see any data loss, and after a restart it appears to work as normal, unless I try to make a form change without confirming with the Enter keypress.

Here is a partial from my console prior to the force close:
Jan 8 09:45:48 MacBook-Pro syslogd[134]: ASL Sender Statistics
Jan 8 09:56:07 MacBook-Pro syslogd[134]: ASL Sender Statistics
Jan 8 10:06:49 MacBook-Pro syslogd[134]: ASL Sender Statistics
Jan 8 10:14:29 MacBook-Pro PanoramaX[16315]: Launched with PXRole: Client
Jan 8 10:18:09 MacBook-Pro PanoramaX[16315]: Text List selection changed unexpectedly!
Jan 8 10:18:09 MacBook-Pro syslogd[134]: ASL Sender Statistics
Jan 8 10:29:38 MacBook-Pro syslogd[134]: ASL Sender Statistics
Jan 8 10:39:42 MacBook-Pro syslogd[134]: ASL Sender Statistics
Jan 8 10:50:10 MacBook-Pro syslogd[134]: ASL Sender Statistics
Jan 8 11:00:37 MacBook-Pro syslogd[134]: ASL Sender Statistics
Jan 8 11:10:29 MacBook-Pro PanoramaX[16315]: Text List selection changed unexpectedly!
Jan 8 11:11:37 MacBook-Pro syslogd[134]: ASL Sender Statistics
Jan 8 11:15:06 MacBook-Pro PanoramaX[16315]: Text List selection changed unexpectedly!
Jan 8 11:19:34 MacBook-Pro PanoramaX[16315]: Text List selection changed unexpectedly!
Jan 8 11:24:12 MacBook-Pro syslogd[134]: ASL Sender Statistics
Jan 8 11:34:39 MacBook-Pro syslogd[134]: ASL Sender Statistics
Jan 8 11:44:47 MacBook-Pro syslogd[134]: ASL Sender Statistics
Jan 8 11:56:40 MacBook-Pro syslogd[134]: ASL Sender Statistics
Jan 8 12:05:49 MacBook-Pro PanoramaX[16315]: Text List selection changed unexpectedly!
Jan 8 12:07:46 MacBook-Pro syslogd[134]: ASL Sender Statistics
Jan 8 12:08:54 MacBook-Pro PanoramaX[16315]: .InitializeConverterWindow → Travel Information
Jan 8 12:18:39 MacBook-Pro syslogd[134]: ASL Sender Statistics

Let me know, how else I can assist.

Robb

I haven’t heard of that problem before. I am unable to duplicate the problem here – when I do that it cancels the text editing, but there are none of the symptoms you describe. Perhaps I’m not exactly understanding the steps you are describing.

Hmm, I notice that your console log mentions a Text List object. That sounds like your form is more complicated than I was imagining from the description. Did you construct a Text List as well? Though actually, I just realized that my database I used to test also had a Text List. I just tried it again without a Text List and still was unable to duplicate the problem.

Is there any other potentially useful information you can think of?

I have attached a video that you can review to see what I am talking about. The first record I select, I make a change and hit enter, I move to a new record (Budget), when I make a change, I then click back to the tableview and select another record. Watch as I move through the records the form is not matching the tableview. Let me know if this doesn’t help. Video Mp4

Thanks. It looks like I was understanding the steps you were describing. Unfortunately, when I tried the exact same steps on my computer it didn’t do that.

Is there anything else going on that we can’t see? Another form window, or additional objects on that form? I don’t see any sign of a Text List, but your console log indicates there is a text list. But the most recent reference was 13 minutes earlier, so maybe that was some other database. Or, for that matter, the Panorama Help window contains a Text List, so maybe it was just that.

Since you are a new user I assume you are using the latest version – 10.2b25?

The database was built by using import txt file and then I used the construct feature to build the form. I am using the 102.b25 version. I did have the Help window open so its possible the Text List is from that. I did try changing other fields and if I don’t press enter the sync between form and table gets confused its seems. I can share the db file, would that be helpful? I can send via email, just provide me your email address.

Ditto for my report: Text Editor Display Issues

support [at] provue [dot] com

Jim sent me his database a while ago, and it was discovered that the problem was due to a bug in the showpage statement. Fortunately it turned out that this statement actually wasn’t needed in his application, and was being used incorrectly (it still shouldn’t have caused the symptoms), so the solution was to remove that statement. I think it’s very unlikely that @RobbK is using that statement, so I don’t think these two issues are related. Also, in @JamesCook 's case the problem always occurred after pressing the Enter key (which triggered code with the showpage statement), while this new report involves the Enter key not being pressed.

ShowPage was definitely an issue under the circumstances we identified.

But I continue having records in the Datasheet and the form diverge in what they display. It happened again just now with no ShowPage anywhere in the database. Seeing that @RobbK and I are both on M1 Pro processors, I thought it might be helpful for you in troubleshooting it.

I have received the database from @RobbK and I have been able to duplicate the problem with this database. So hopefully that bodes well for fixing the problem. I will see if I can get this fixed in the next release – however, the next release won’t be available for a while, as the code is the middle of converting to native Apple Silicon code. It’s kind of like when you are working on a car and all of the parts are spread out on the shop floor – at that point you can’t just tweak one thing and get back on the road.

1 Like