Moving Beta Panorama to a New Machine

Dave, I am in the same boat.
Moving to a new machine this week and notice that Panorama X is not on it.
Presently I am using this machine, which runs Catalina and has Paralles on it running Pan 6.
Have found this a good solution since I like running Pan 6.
But realize I need to change to X. Took the class from Jim in January so should be able to run the new Pan X. Realize there is a problem with the 19 version, so how do I get the 18 version of Pan X to run on this new machine?
Seems that when I transfered data before Pan X isn’t in Apps folder.

So the bottom line, how do I start from fresh on this new machine, and load and get startec with the newest version which I am allowed to do since I took Jim’s class.
Thanks

Begin by using the link in the b16 release notes to download that version.

Launch and log on to the downloaded application.

Open the Panorama Database Exchange from the Help menu.

Select the Download Assistant and download it.

You can then use the Download Assistant to download version b18.

1 Like

Dave, Lot’s of thanks, have Panorama X on the new computer.

Just have to figure it out. Doing things that were simple on Pan 6 is complicated in Pan X. Like doing a sequence, in Pan 6 there is a fulldown menu in Math that you can do sequence. But I can’t find out how to do a sequence. Simple things like this is hard for me.

It’s true that PanX does many things differently and you have to learn a new approach.

Not sure where you are putting a sequence, but if you want a sequence in a particular field in a selection of rows, or all rows, it’s easy:

In the datasheet, select the rows you want to sequence and sort them in the order you want the sequence to appear.
Select the field where the sequence will go.
Select the first row.
Use Field/Morph/Fill with Formula. Enter the formula seq(). Click Fill. Tadaa! The sequence is added to your field.

The quickest way to do it is to use the Morph button on the tool bar, and “Start with Sequence” or “Start with Group Sequence” whichever is appropriate.

Group Sequence

Ok, thanks.
That is my major problem, I have used Pan 6 for so many years and know how to use it so well.
Since I have it so solid, I find it hard to move over to Pan X because it so radically different, you are right I have to learn a new approach.
But that is the problem, simple things like doing a sequence which I use all the time I could find the formula swq() but I didn’t understand how to do it. Example of that, for the first one I have to put a 1 so that the rest of it does it.

Another approach I am having a tough time grasping is doing lookups between two databeses. In pan 6 its easy to find, call up formula fill, that brings up the functions tab in which not only has the lookup tab but it pops up the lookup function wizard that asks which file to retrieve the file but asks me what information I want to retrieve and what field in that database matches the one I am trying to access that.
I am having a tough time grasping which “approach” to do because there is no lookup wizard to guide be through it.
I know for much of you this may be easy, but I have never been a programmer and find figuring out formulas hard.

There is a wizard, but it’s not as tightly integrated as the one in Panorama 6. It’s called the “Relational Workshop” and it’s on the Help menu.

Is it just me or does it seem inconsistent that some of the wizards are listed in the Program menu and some in the Help menu. I would think they should all be in one place like they were in the old Wizards menu. :confused:

The three workshops in the Program menu are all speciality workshops related to programming. It could make sense to put these in the Help menu, and I personally would probably prefer them there, as I think @gary would. But Gary and I aren’t typical users – most users will never ever ever need these wizards. If they were in the Help menu, I think they could just add to the possible confusion of new users. The Help menu is one of the first place new users will look, and it’s already a bit cluttered. I think adding items like Timer Workshop and Dialog Workshop to this menu would be even more confusing for new users. In fact now that you mention it, probably Font Awesome Icons should be moved elsewhere, probably should only be available in graphics mode (though sometimes I use it when coding also…).

I wouldn’t mind making a preference as to whether these items appeared in the Program or Help menu. Unfortunately, that’s not possible, as the Help menu is a special menu that can’t be changed on the fly, only when Panorama is compiled.

The Wizards menu was something that I originally thought was very cool and later decided was dumb. The only commonality between different wizards is that they are all implemented as Panorama databases instead of native code. Why should a user care how a feature is implemented? That’s the dumb part. So I gradually started moving each wizard to a permanent spot based on the task the wizard performed. This began with Panorama 6, but in Panorama X a logical spot for every wizard was found, leaving the Wizard menu empty.

One cool thing about the original Wizard implementation was that you could drop your own databases into the Wizard folder and they would automatically appear in the Wizard menu the next time Panorama was launched. And that still works! The Wizard folder is now inside PanoramaX.app, but it is still there and you can drop databases into it, and then a Wizard menu will appear with your database.

That is a cool thing and I’ll be putting it to work immediately to handle a collection of utility databases that I’ve built for myself.

Just keep in mind that if you put Wizards in the Wizards folder, they will disappear when you update Panorama. I think there is a workaround for this: Make a procedure that will check to see if they are there, and if not, put them there. Then stick it in a file in your User Library>Application Support>Panorama X>Library folder, where I think it will run on launching Panorama.

I have a working version of ZipInfoPlus which I have stuck in my Custom Statements file there, which overwrites the non-working version packaged in Panorama X, so it will not disappear every time I update. I cannot post that code until I have written a routine that deals with the API key, which I have only hard-coded into my statement. (Also I may rewrite it with another API. Using the API avoids legal issues, but there are fees if you use it more than a certain number of times a month, which I do not.)

Taking @BruceDeB’s suggestion, I have added a few of my utilities to a Wizards folder in my Documents folder. I then created a “Check Wizard.pandb” file with this code in an .InitializeFunctions procedure (not a simple .Initialize procedure since that procedure is not run in a library file):

If fileexistspath(bundleresourcepath()+"/Wizards/Variable View.pandb") = false()
    copyfile "~/Documents/Wizards/Variable View.pandb",
        bundleresourcepath()+"/Wizards/Variable View.pandb"
    copyfile "~/Documents/Wizards/Reveal Invisible Text.pandb",
        bundleresourcepath()+"/Wizards/Reveal Invisible Text.pandb"
    copyfile "~/Documents/Wizards/Gradient Workshop.pandb",
        bundleresourcepath()+"/Wizards/Gradient Workshop.pandb"
    buildwizardmenus
endif

I then put this file in the PanoramaX Libraries folder (/Users/garyyonaites/Library/Application Support/PanoramaX/Libraries). When Panorama starts up this file will load as a library file and the .InitializeFunctions procedure will execute. This will check to see if one of my utility files exists in the Panorama Resource/Wizards folder and copy all of them over from my Documents/Wizards folder if that file is missing. It then rebuilds the Wizards menu for display.

Using this method I never have to physically put my utility files in the Panorama X Resource/Wizards folder and they are automatically recopied if there is an update. Since the library file remains open in memory I can open the .InitializeFunctions procedure using the Open View… dialog and add or delete items from the copyfile list as needed. Sweet - thanks for the idea Bruce.