Panorama X and Hindsight software

Hi Jim, I was just trying to log on to the Hindsight forums, but it seems that they are now gone (along with the rest of the HS website). Is this correct, or just a temporary glitch? Anyway, I’m a longtime user of InView, and am hoping that I can keep it going somehow. Just for the record, if any of the modules for Pan X you are tinkering with become available, i’d be happy to pay for them. (Specifically I’m looking for Contacts / Estimates / Invoices).

Jim Cook answered this in an earlier post in this topic.

James, I know you are no longer supporting Inview but if you recognize this issue and can give a quick tip I’d appreciate it.

On Mojave I’m getting this message when opening Inview/Panorama: “Field or variable does not exist: PanPrefs” Then I click OK, close the New Database Wizard file, click on Contacts in the finder and I get the dialogue: “Field or variable does not exist: InS” Then I open Flow Chart and the splash screen comes up but does not proceed to the actual Flow Chart then I open Contacts and it opens and everything seems to work just fine.

I tried deleting everything panorama and Inview and re installing with similar results. It all works perfectly on my wife’s computer running only Mojave so I tried copying everything from her Mac to mine, same error results. Any ideas?

Meanwhile I’m testing dual boot on APFS volumes and aside from the above issue Inview is running fine on the Mojave volume.

You’ll be pleased to know it’s caused by a Preference setting and has a quick solution.

With Panorama running, go to the “Panorama” menu, right beside the Apple menu. Go to Preferences, it’s the fourth item on the list. Click on General Preferences in the upper left corner.

Set the first Preference for either Open File Dialog or Nothing and close the window and Quit.

That should resolve it.

Thanks, should have asked this a while back, easy fix! The dual boot system works well, especially the sync with contacts (Apple) because that is iCloud based and updates on either system. Looks like I can use Inview into, dare I say, retirement?

One more question, hoping for an easy answer again: When syncing a contact “from” Apple Contacts all fields add: ", “”, " to them, if it’s empty it adds the ", “”, " and if the field has something in it like and email address or Job Title it put these quotes around it, like “, "email@url.com”, "

Is there an easy way to fix it? It takes considerable time to erase these one field at a time. Thanks!

I’m assuming you’re referring to the Pan 6 Contacts, and I have not revisited that in some time.

There is no access for you to the programming so the import is what it is in that regard.

Hi Jim, I hate to drag you back to answering questions about InView, but i was hoping you could help with something:
I’ve been an InView user since my first Apple Classic. Of course, that was no speed demon, so I followed the advice to compact my receivables when the file got too big and slow. I’m sure I did make a copy of that before compacting, but I’m sure that was about 30 years ago on a long lost floppy. Is there any way to ‘un-compact’ the receivables? I actually have a need to look up the details of a very old invoice and was hoping that this might be possible.

Thanks,

Brian Smale

Compacting stripped all but a minimum of detail from every invoice in order to make the Receivables database smaller and take up less memory. There is no putting it back once it’s been stripped.

The process did start by making a dated backup of the file before removing anything though. That backup was intended to be the source for any stripped detail in the event that you need it again. If you have the backup copy, that’s what you’re looking for in order to recover the detail of the invoice. I probably have some of my own from back then, but no way to access 30+ year-old files on floppies.

There is a service called RetroFloppy that can convert files on old floppy disks.

Thanks James. Did those ‘dated backups’ get automatically saved to the Panorama folder (or where)?
If i was to search old drives, what would it have been called? (e.g… 'Receivables 2008-10-21"?)

b

It would be saved to the same folder as the Receivables. I don’t recall the exact arrangement of the naming but it definitely included “Receivables” and the date.

Hello Jim,
Nice to find you here and catch up on what you’re doing.
I found this forum because I’m trying to continue using the software. Sorry to bother you with this, but…
My laptop with Mojave died, so I copied my InView files from a TimeMachine backup to a drive connected to a machine running El Cap. I can’t save new work because I can’t get past the Registration. Is there a work around?
Thanks,
Peter Braune

Hi Peter. You HindSight files should run just fine if you copied a working set. Your registration info would be included within those files and will just kick in.

If it’s the Panorama Registration that’s giving you trouble, hopefully you have your registration number saved somewhere. It’s no longer available otherwise as far as I know.

I should add that there is Panorama 6 info at Panorama Classic Frequently Asked Questions

Jim - it was the Panorama registration and I found the answer in the link you included (root permissions).
Thanks very much!

Spoke too soon. The registration was accepted, but I’m looking at “HS Resources or disk may be locked or busy”

Be sure that HS Resources has not been somehow converted to a Panorama file. It must be present and should appear as a generic file. Be sure Permissions are set for Read. Write doesn’t matter since it’s a reference file for the databases.

HS Resources is still generic. I changed Permissions to Read Only from Read/Write. I quit everything and restarted. Opened Panorama > Flow Chart > Date Keeper. On saving a test entry, I get File “” or disk may be locked or busy.

The error indicates that something isn’t writable - Permissions. Check everything in the folder to be sure you can read and write.

I confirmed read and write for every single thing in the folder. No change. A thought - the InView folder is on an external drive I copied it to from a TimeMachine backup. The copy of Panorama is on the internal drive with system and all apps. Does the InView folder have to be on the same drive?