Panorama X and Hindsight software

I doubt that the external drive matters but you can always do a test by moving a copy. The error message indicates an inability to write (save) so at some level the Permissions are preventing it.

Peter,

I read your conversation with Jim concerning keeping Inview alive. I’m a longtime user of Inview and still using it on High Sierra with Pan 6.0. Are you still using Hindsight? if so, are you running Parallels with an mac OS? parallels website it should run, and James says he runs it with Catalina. any help or advice would de appreciated.

Steve

Steve,

I still have an old machine with El Capitán on it. I had a lot of trouble moving the back up copy of InView and panorama from the machine that died. I finally got it sorted and I’m using it that way, now.

I’m going to have to upgrade this old machine. I shied away from parallels only because I remember people reporting nightmares when it first became available. I’m going to look into that myself.

I don’t know if this was an any help to you, but that’s all I have.

Peter

MacMail.png

Peter,

Thank you for responding. I’m in a similar situation wondering if the deactivation will work. There’s a lot of videos on YouTube about using 32 bit on Catalina. My thinking is like yours, what if it doesn’t work for some reason. I’m considering buying a 2015 13” MacBook and loading El Capitan & Panorama 6 then dragging my Hindsight folder to see if that will work. Hard to get clear direction. I tested last fall a online accounting software called zipbooks. It was free and allowed invoicing, contacts, checkbook, and expenses. It was simple enough but it’s in the cloud. I’d like to chat by phone if you have a moment. Could you share your number.

Thank you,
Steve

Hey Jim,

I hope you’ve remained safe in the pandemic. What a world.

If possible, I need to move my old, single-license copies of Panorama 6 and Hindsight 5.5 over to a different OS X 10.14.6 Mojave machine so I can migrate my laptop from Mojave to Catalina, if not Big Sur. Is there any way to do this? Can a Time Machine Panorama and Hindsight folder recovery on the existing machine then just be across the network to the new machine?

Hi Jim,
I’m hoping that i won’t need to bother you any more with InView questions… with any luck this will be my last one:
I’ve been exporting my data to comma delimited files, which has been going well. The only problem I’m having is trying to export the Estimates file. There doesn’t seem to be a way, at least not in the usual “Reports>Export” method. Is there a way to export Estimates?

Thanks, and happy TG!

Brian Smale

Copying your HindSight files should be fine, but Time Machine doesn’t handle a proper installation of Panorama. You’ll need to run a proper installation process for Panorama 6. You’ll find plenty of notes about that on this site for just about every OS.

Hmm, I don’t have any of those files to refer to, but I did look in the manual. It doesn’t appear that either the Estimates or Opens Jobs files had an export feature built in.

Ok thanks for getting back to me Jim.

Brian

Brian Smale
206-818-3367

Jim,

First of all I want to thank you for the best support of an application I have ever seen, even extending beyond the company’s dissolution. I will always have a warm spot in my heart for you and Inview. I have been stuck on High Sierra for awhile and have cloned my startup drive and am about to move to Catalina. When I need Inview I plan to startup from the other drive and use Inview. Should I expect any problems? I have tested this and it seems to work fine. I am just cautious about moving forward with the OS upgrade.

Best,
Park Street
Austin, TX

Jim-I was a longtime InView user. Years ago you designed a database for me to track my print inventory. I was able to continue using it (with some wrinkles) when I was forced to upgrade to Panorama X. I am still having some issues, though, and was wondering if there was some way to connect with you, outside of this string.
Thanks-
Harvey Wang

I’ll send you my email address via a private message

For those trying to export data from HindSight’s Catalogue or Contacts:

To export data from HindSight’s Panorama 6 Catalogue, see Catalogue Export

If you have need to export data from a HindSight’s Panorama 6 Contacts database, see Contacts Export

James, or others using StockView Catalogue. I had a question about the best way to get all the data exported from this part of the software, in order to migrate it into DAM (Digital Asset Management) software where these values can be stored in the DAM and in the embedded metadata. What I’d found was for version 3, but I think is still the same with newer versions.

With StockView Catalogue open:
*From Search menu at the top, use “Select All” to get all the records (you can also “tag” the records you want, and then use the “Select Tags” as another option). *

In the Functions menu, select the “Report by…” feature, and from that sub-menu choose “Export Selected” (the manual says that this “Exports the selection you’ve made to a disk file in text or ASCII format. You’re given the opportunity to name the file and choose where it’s to be saved on your hard drive.”).

The sample CSV (Comma Separated Value) text files I’ve done, when imported into a spreadsheet have the first row showing the field name in StockView (with Cross Refs representing Keywords). If the catalog has 500 entries and there are 501 rows (one for the legends), then I think that means I should have all of the data.

Can you think of anything I might be missing?

Many thanks in advance. My apologies in advance in replying to this thread, but I’m unfamilar with this forum and it’s not that clear on how to start a “new” thread/topic.

Yours,
David

No problem that you’ve replied to this thread, it’s a good place for anything “HindSight”.

It seems like you’ve got it covered, but in case you missed it, your post was preceded by one from me on the very subject.

Jim:

Thanks. Not sure how I’d missed those two links.

Good info. I’ve bookmarked them for reference.

Yours,

David

Your best bet is to resort to your most recent back up to replace the file.

James - I was a long time InView user, 2000-2019. I recently had to upgrade to Big Sur from Mojave. In doing so I made sure export out my financials from InView but I forgot to export my equipment list.

I do have a copy of my InView but no longer have Panorama.

Do you or anyone you know offer a service to open InView files and export the data? I would need the Equipment Database opened exported as text file and I would also would want a PDF report showing all of the equipment.

Much Thanks!

No need to remind me who you are, Jon. I remember quite well.

I’ll have someone who can probably help you get in touch.

Thanks Jim!