I’m new to PanX, but somewhat familiar with Filemaker.
I lead a small church which is also a registered charity. Over the years, I’ve been frustrated by the lack of a solution that would allow me to manage the whole church/charity. Filemaker gave me the idea of building the solution, but primary key fields and foreign key fields and the warnings that I MUST create a proper ERD diagram first or my computer will explode all led me to put off creating this solution. I am now in the situation that I really need to get this solution built. I’ve tried CMS and similar software, but each one requires me to shoehorn my data to fit their general features. I’m hoping this forum and you wise people will point me in the right direction and guide as to the best way to build this or if I am barking up the wrong tree.
First let me tell you about my skillset. I’m proficient with computers (although that is relative), develop websites, can use the command line on occasion but am not a programmer (the programming seen in many examples of PanX databases concerns me a little).
What am I trying to build?
- A contact list of all members, volunteers and visitors. To include new UK GDPR requirements which means most likely a scanned copy of consent to have personal data processed from each individual. I would also like this to show relationships between individuals. It is essential to know who is married to whom and who their children are.
- A rota system that will allow me to see what each volunteer is involved in as well as highlight over involvement and clashes in different areas.
- A list of all departments linked to people working in that department and those leading it.
- An annual plan that contains all that is going on in the church for the current calendar year. Linking in events from departments, regular weekly meetings. This needs to contain who is responsible, resources required and deadlines. This also needs to include the preaching, teaching subjects for the year, and allow us to plan weekly topics and who’s responsible.
- Attendance records for all activities.
- Financial giving record. A simple record of the total that is given each week.
- Preparation db that allows all preaching, teaching to be ordered chronologically so that I can see what I need to prepare at a glance. This needs to contain the name of the topic, Bible verses/passages this relates to and whether it is part of a series and how long the series is.
- Meeting tracker. I meet with a lot of people inside and outside of the church. We have a good community involvement. I need to track those meetings plus meeting notes. I also need to be able to see the history of my meeting with an individual. I also need to record minutes for charity purposes and track actions coming out of those meetings and who is responsible for the action.
- Expenses. I need to track my spending and record my mileage
- Managing projects. We may have a large event that requires months of planning.
Finally, Im hoping that all these items will interconnect so that I can reuse information such as people contact info.
I appreciate this is a large project and realise a lot of detail is missing. What I really need to know is if this is realistically possible with PanX? My understanding is that tables in PanX are just separate databases and that they can be linked and referenced with procedures or formulas. I am therefore thinking that each section becomes a separate database that is then linked appropriately.
If this is possible, what is the best way to start and more importantly, what do I need to learn or understand about PanX to achieve this?