Zip Code Database

If you do as I suggested and only enter the address and the zip, everything else will be filled in. Do not be afraid to try it. And when I say enter only the ‘address and the zip’, I mean enter only the street address and the zip code. In the US, you do NOT need to enter the city, state, or county.

As for mapping it, that is a another bit of code that happens on one of my web sites.

Scott, have a look at 始める  |  Geocoding API  |  Google Developers and you’ll see exactly how to get co-ords from an address - at no cost.

One additional thing I did not mention is that when you use the code I suggested, it is necessary to use the International Country Codes such as ‘AU’ for Australia ie. AU-6330 and DE for Germany ie. DE-31860. If you leave out the country code, it will be assumed to be for the US.

Well, like I said, the USPS used to do this, but I haven’t checked in a couple decades. Haven’t yet figured out how to submit a list of addresses to Google Maps and get back a list with lat and long.

Use the code I suggested above.

In fact, you’d be better off ignoring zips altogether - knowing your geographic co-ords and the co-ords of a customer, you can easily calculate a genuine as-the-crow-flies distance between the two addresses. I can help with this if you wish.

According to the Google Map API you can use a street address in place of the longitude and latitude parameters. Quoting from the API:

In any parameter where you may provide a latitude/longitude, you may instead specify a string indicating an address. Google will geocode the address and provide the Google Static Maps API service with a latitude/longitude value to use in placing markers or specifying locations.

My bad. I presumed that you would have the ProVUE Panorama Zip Code database installed as that would auto enter the City, ST, & County for you when you enter the zip code. If you do not have that additional cost file, you will have to manually enter the City & ST prior to sending the info off to Google for the lat/long.

In Panorama X, the zip code functions are included without extra cost.

You can also obtain the approximate travel time (presumably by car) between the two locations.

Yes, it is and I would be careful in using this over long distances or in an area with natural barriers. For example, you may want to travel from the west side of the Mississippi river to the east side of the river. The “as the crow flies” distance may be two miles but the closest bridge to the other side is 50 miles downstream. So, the road miles to where you want to go is 100.

Another example: the distance from my house in Sherwood, AR (zip 72120) to my son’s house in Naples, FL (zip 34104) is either 866.637 miles (Pan X) or 861.981 (Zip Code database). Take your pick. Either way it is far from the shortest actual road miles which is probably around 1185. So, why the difference of 323 miles? The crow flew over the Gulf of Mexico but the road does not.

Another point, the actual road mileage varies from year to year due to road construction and other factors. Generally, it is shorter due to new road construction - ironing out all those hills and twists and turns into a straight as an arrow highway pays off even if it is more boring.

Thanks, looks useful. However, when I chose Select a radius, and set the value to 2 miles, I got a 4 record database which indicates Mileage to be 2,461. Should be 2.461?

That mileage is left over from an earlier run of “Calculate Mileage.” The mileage was calculated from Wilmot NH.

Anything about the database I offered is easy to overlook in this thread and I almost missed this one.

David is right about the mileage. Select a Radius selects all zip codes with the range you’ve indicated but does not re-calculate the mileage field. The Mileage is left over from whatever resulted from the last use of Calculate Mileage.

There are many potential scenarios for using one or more of the procedures in the file, especially modified for your specific needs. It’s far from an end all solution. You could easily add a mileage calculation to Select a Radius.

Resurrecting an old thread here with a related question.

Is there a way to get PanX’s zip radius feature to work with Canadian postal codes?

Probably, if you can get the locations from the codes, and the distances from the locations somewhere. I invite you to do it. I have made the zipinfoplus statement work.

I don’t have a source for that data.

Google is your friend. I get the Lat Lng for every/any address in the world via Google. For non specific addresses, it pulls from the center of the postal code.

Thank you Jim, Bruce, and RAmeeti for replying. Jim… you’ve spoiled us amateurs with the built-in zip radius because it works so well.

If time permits, I’ll give Google a spin.

For what it’s worth, and similar to other users of this feature, I use the zip radius to identify clients and contacts in a metro area. Our company uses HubSpot as its CRM, but it offers no way to search for contacts by region. So whenever we have marketing or sales staff on the road, I pull our full list from HS, drop it into Panorama, and cull a list of all contacts in the area we’ll be visiting. It helps us tremendously with our outreach by enabling us to make our efforts focussed and relevant to our intended audience.

Given that Pano X is allowing for the right click on a Zip field and then allowing us to select <15 miles, <25 miles, etc, that is great but I need to get much finer selections. I’d like to modify the code to get me <1 mile, <3 miles, <5 miles, etc.
Given that I do have the Lat,Lng already, is there a library item that I can modify/ enhance to get this more detailed selection? (I do see the SelectZipDistanceTool but I’d like to enhance the Right click menu.)

Or are the current ranges large due to their only using the zip code?

I have a feeling that I will be making use of James Cook’s offering at the top of the thread.

Has anyone does much with the mapping of multiple records (with lat,lng) to positions on a single web browser object?