View as List Form

The whole reason that I use Panorama is because it allows Muti-record invoices and work orders. As a produce wholesaler, customers could;d order 1 item or 300. I can group on product code and total the quantities of each item needed for each day then group by invoice number to rebuild the invoice. After converting to Pan X, I cannot edit any data in the View as List Form.

This has been documented from the very earliest Panorama X beta versions.

This is not going to change ever. You’ll need to design a different method to edit the data, for example combining a Text List with individual Text Editor objects, or using the data sheet.

It’s not hard at all to have your list open in one window with a second that has a form for editing the current record. Since you can then add titles, buttons, popups…, you may find it actually works a lot better.

I recall in early PanX days wondering how I was going to replace the functionality of View-As Lists. I had used them a lot in Pan6. But now I know various ways to do the same things. He is one example, where you have a text list on the top and space for editing fields on the same form. When you click a row at the top part, you select that record and can then edit it in the bottom part.

Another approach is to have text list that when you click a row a form opens to edit the record. Jim above has suggested another variation on these approaches. Suffice it to say that there are several ways to accomplish what you want.

The examples I’ve seen usually have a view-as-list on the side, and a separate window to the right of it. That second window is for editing the clicked-on view-as-list record. How could that functionality be done with the list above the edit area?

With tricky window statements, I’d imagine wherever you open/move the view-as-list, the companion “edit” window could be made to open below it. The tricky part is having a clean “header” area on the edit window so it appears seamlessly below the view-as-list. So when the user clicks in the view-as-list or the edit window, they become active but there is no obvious “bring to front”.

The text list method, shown in the previous post, would probably work too - and easier than window manipulation. What is the number of rows limit in the text list?

The example I gave did not have a View-As-List form, but a Text List. And it can go on the left, but either way seems to work fine to me. Here’s one with the text list on the left and individual record on the right.

As for the number of rows, a text list will noticeably slow down with a modest number of records if one is using the Database Navigator feature; my recollection is that with a 1,000 records, the Text List will slow down a lot, but I am not sure of that number. I have used Text Lists populated with a variable (created with arraybuild() and had them work very quickly with several thousand rows. The default number of rows for a Text List is 5,000. If you plan to have more than that, you can change that in the blueprint for the Text List object. Using the search box is almost instantaneous with a several thousand row Text List populated with a variable.

I used view-as-list forms extensively in Pan 6 and earlier, so was worried about the changes in Pan X. I switched to using Text Lists instead and can pop up an editing window by clicking on the item desired. Here are some clips of what that looks like. This person’s account has 1657 records out of 75, 032 total. Performance on an M1 iMac is snappy and M2 even better.

My edit box is a square, but a single line shaped one as you described would work fine, too.
Image # 3 is a clipping of the form that prints the account statement. The bottom tile is an overlay tile. Prints one line or hundreds onto multiple pages.