Using Command F in Text Editor Objects

While working with command F on a form, I noticed the following.

I cannot use command F while my cursor is in a Text Editor object. In other words, I cannot use command F in the scenario shown below.

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 2.58.51 PM

However, I can used command F when I click out of the field Text Editor object, such as in the photo below.

Screen Shot 2022-05-10 at 2.59.18 PM

Command F then brings up the Find/Select dialog and searches through the field I most recently edited.

Can I use the command F search function while editing a field in a Text Editor object?

My guess is “no”, because this would interfere with the “Enable Find Bar” option in Text Editor Options. But, if there is an equivalent workaround, please let me know.

Thanks!

Your guess is correct.

1 Like

Thank you for the confirmation.

Looks to me like in Pan 6, the command F function brought up the Find/Select dialog, but in Pan X, the command F brings up the Find Bar.

In Pan 6, I used the command F to bring up the find/select dialog, and did so frequently. I’m sure you have good reason for making the change, but just know that an option to allow command F to bring up the find/select dialog (in Pan X) would be greatly appreciated.

If you add a simple procedure consisting of:

SuperObjectClose
FindSelectDialog

… you can then add any key command you desire and that will work as you’re describing.

Thank you, this is helpful.

I was unable to use command f as the key command, but, shift+command+f works well.

When I ran this procedure, the find/select dialog defaults to searching through the first field in my database. Ideally, I would like to have the find/select dialog default to searching through the last selected field in my form.

The following program searches through the last selected field in the form.

local fn
fn=info(“fieldname”)
message fn
SuperObjectClose
FindSelectDialog

But, I found this out completely by accident. I don’t know why the addition of a message makes the find/select dialog search through the last selected field.

Do you know how to have the find/select dialog default to searching through the last selected field in the form (without using the message function)?

1. Because the message is displayed in a new window. So your active Text Editor object was closed.
  2. Have a look in Panorama X > Preferences… > General: There you decide if a search in Panorama X shall find or select and start in “All fields” or in the “Current field” (the highlighted field in the data sheet).

This works for me:

Let lvField = info(“FieldName”)
SuperObjectClose
Field (lvField)
FindSelectDialog

WITH the Preferences set as:

Thank you. Unfortunately, that does not work for me.

Actually, I think I have a Preferences issue. When I change a preference, the change does not propagate. I will look into that further.