Text Lists Column Names - Spaces Allowed?

Hello Panorama professionals and enthusiasts!

Do text lists allow for column names that contain a space? If so, how can I make that work?

For example, I have a text list that is linked to fields in a database, as the photo below shows.

Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 9.29.06 AM

But, the space between “Order” and “Date” causes the following error.

If I change the field name to “OrderDate”, the issue goes away.

I don’t know what other circumstances are behind the creation of your list, but spaces should definitely work as you’ve shown it:
Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 3.36.58 PM

In the Formula panel, you do need to enclose such field names in chevrons, as you do throughout Panorama:
Screen Shot 2022-03-30 at 3.37.35 PM

You have to be careful around words that have other uses. “Date” is a common culprit. This is just a guess but the reason your message says, “Expression contains and operand…” is it sees the word “Date” which is a function. Or maybe it’s triggered by just the two words and space. Like 3 5 might expect some operator (+, -, *, /, ^) between them.

If the field name has a space, you need to enclose it in chevrons « is Option \ and » is Shift Option \

Thank you for the suggestion.

As the picture below shows, I put chevrons around “Order Date”.

Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 8.40.05 AM

The result was this:

Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 8.40.38 AM

Appreciate the info. This particular text list does not have any code in the Formula panel. But, if I do add code there, I will make sure to use the chevrons.

KerianMachines - Oh, that was a column name in a textlist, not your datasheet view.
And Jim has identified it as a bug.

The comments below I had were pertaining to the datasheet view and off track for this problem. I deleted them so they wouldn’t confuse the issue with the text list.

I was able to recreate your problem in a Text List by simply entering the field names as you did.

I’d suggest that you let Panorama build the list for you which will include the formulas I showed earlier.

In Graphics Mode, go to the Construct menu and choose List/Matrix. Trim the list of fields to the ones you want, then click Construct. Voila! Fields with spaces are handled.

Oh jeez, this thread has identified not one, but two bugs.

The first bug is that you can’t use the @fieldname syntax if the fieldname has spaces in it.
The second bug is that if you’ve created a Text List with the constructor, you can’t modify the arrangement by simply modifying the Multiple Columns specification, you also have to manually edit the formula.