Text label object content change - how?

Yes, I’m being lazy not to check a tutorial; but I did check the Search and didn’t find an answer there.

When I create a text label object, it seems I have only one chance to type its content - at creation time. After that, I have to select it, then open its BluePrint, and change the label text there. That’s fine if that’s the only way. Am I missing something that allows me to just select it and change the text in the “box” without needing to go the BluePrint route?

Try double-clicking the label in Graphics Mode – that works for me and I can alter the text label right there on the form.

Text Label Objects are something I never use because they are so limited and quirky to use while Text Display Objects are far more versatile and easy to modify with procedures. If you name your Text Label you can change the text using changeobject but it will not re-display unless you go into and out of graphics mode or close and reopen the form.

Using a Text Display Object set to formula with “Text” as the formula and named MyText, you can change the text to “New Text” using this code:

changeobject "MyText","Formula","""New Text"""

You can also have the text in a variable and just change the variable followed by a showvariables myVariable statement to change and display the new text. I just don’t see any reason to use a Text Label Object for anything at this point.

2 Likes

Double-click for the win! I was only single-clicking.

Thank you Jbmonas and Gary. I’m not looking to change the label at runtime - just when I’m creating a form. I think of a “name”, put it in, then change my mind. The object is limited for sure, but it only has one job to do - just tell me what’s in the adjacent text display field - and doesn’t need referencing.

Text Label Objects are something I never use because they are so limited and quirky to use while Text Display Objects are far more versatile and easy to modify with procedures.

:100: