Site license connection drops out

Every now and again I’m unable to open a Panorama X file, getting this dialog box:

If I then log on to the forum, all is OK. Annoying but not disastrous.

Now it happens every day - is there a solution?

I’ve never seen a report like this before. So there is no known solution.

I also don’t really understand your report. Do you really mean “log on to the forum”? The forum has absolutely no connection to Panorama itself. Perhaps you meant you log onto Panorama?

You might try deleting your copy of Panorama and download a fresh copy from the ProVUE web site.

Possibly your Panorama preferences may have gotten corrupted somehow (though I don’t know how that would cause this symptom). There is no way to uncorrupt them, but they can be deleted using these steps.

• If it is open, Quit from Panorama X
• Open a new window in the Finder
• Choose “Go To Folder” from the “Go” menu
• Enter ~/Library/Preferences/ and press the “Go” button
• Find the file “com.provue.PanoramaX.plist” and move it to the trash
• Relauch Panorama X (this will automatically create new, default preferences)

If you’ve set up any options in the Panorama X preferences window, you will need to set them up again.

Lately, I have been unable to open any Panorama X document until I sign in to the forum. Then all is OK. Previously, I have always been signed in to the forum when I open it but lately I have to sign in every time.

I have now re-installed Panorama X and all seems to be fine.

As a side issue, instead of going through the steps you listed to delete possible corruption, I’ve used AppCleaner which deletes all of the above plus numerous other files at a single step.

FYI, when you sign into the forum you are signing into a server owned by a company called Communiteq. ProVUE pays them a monthly fee to host this forum. Panorama itself has absolutely no connection to this forum or to Communiteq other than the fee we pay. The Panorama software has no idea whether or not you are logged on to the forum, or whether or not you even have a forum account. Sadly, a significant number of Panorama users do not have a forum account. Also, the email address and password for your forum account are completely independent from your Panorama account. You may have set them to be the same, but that’s your decision, they can be completely different. Also, someone that does not have a Panorama account can set up a forum account.

Bottom line, there is no way that being signed in or out on the forum can affect the ability to open a Panorama X document. Any perceived connection is a coincidence.

If that works for you, fine. Obviously I cannot recommend a product that I have no connection to and that most Panorama users won’t already own.

I’ve never heard of AppCleaner, so I downloaded it from what appears to be the official site.

https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/

It looks like this is probably a legit app, not malware. And it’s free, so that’s nice. I also like that it shows you exactly what it is going to delete and gives you the chance to decide if that is what you want. I tried it on Panorama and it appears that it will delete the preferences, but it also deletes a lot more, possibly files that you wouldn’t want to delete. For example, if you were using Panorama X client, it would delete any remote server configureation. If you were using Panorama X server, it would delete all of the server databases! If you have set up custom libraries, it will delete those. I would probably not use this tool on Panorama myself, or any other software for that matter. I would prefer to take a bit of extra time to make sure I know exactly what I am deleting. I do appreciate that I was able to press Cancel and it left my drive alone.