Sierra macOS upgrade - Panorama 6 not working properly

I doubt it has anything to do with Panorama, but I just read a story that indicated that the 16B2657 build was the first to support the new Touch Bar. So maybe Apple broke something in Carbon in the process of adding that support.

Below is the text of the bug report I tried to submit. I still haven’t been able to successfully submit it though. Is there an easier way to demonstrate the bug to Apple than asking them to download and install the full Panorama 6.0 for Mac OS X?

A major bug that popped in Sierra starting with 10.12.1 (somewhere between build 16B2555 and build 16B2657) is not fixed in the latest developer build of 10.12.2. It keeps Panorama 6.0 by ProVue, an app which includes some “Carbon” calls, from running at all. This particular bug did NOT affect 10.12.1 (build 16B2555) but 10.12.1 (build 16B2657) runs into trouble trying to run this application. The manifestations are many, and can be seen by downloading the demo program from http://www.provue.com/downloads/ (select Panorama 6.0 for Mac OS X). Note, to install this you will need to set Preferences to allow the Mac to "Allow Apps Downloaded from Anywhere” which can be done either by leaving it set that way before upgrading from El Capitan, so it remains set that way, or using Terminal to set this.

Once installed, Panorama 6.0 freezes on launch. The opening screen has too many input fields. All sorts of menubar and formatting errors occur if you press Command-Period in order to break the initial launch freeze and get it to work for a few brief moments. It is suspected Apple’s implementation of “Carbon” may be broken in one of the recent compilations of Sierra.

Panorama 6.0 worked fine in 10.12.0 and 10.12.1 (early versions), but somewhere between 10.12.1 build 16B2555 and build 16B2657 it broke. Panorama 6.0 works fine in 16B2555 but not at all in 16B2657, and still doesn’t work in 10.12.2 16C32f.

Call me at 706-769-9696 if you want to setup a TeamViewer or other screen sharing session so I can walk you through the bug step by step.

This is a bug that will likely not only affecting thousands of ProVue Panorama users as they upgrade to Sierra, I suspect it probably will be affecting other apps which include Carbon calls as well, if this is what is causing the bug.

How do you say frick in Pano talk? I have a shipment coming my way that I was praying would have an ‘old’ build of the OS as I need to run Pano 6 on the new computer but alas if it is true that the Touch Bar requires 2657, I may be scroowed.

Life. We plan. God laughs.

Robert Ameeti
(949) 422-6866

Apparently Xcode 8.1 is necessary to develop for Touch Bar Macs and to support Touch Bar macs.

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/releasenotes/DeveloperTools/RN-Xcode/Introduction.html https://developer.apple.com/library/content/releasenotes/DeveloperTools/RN-Xcode/Introduction.html

Jim, does Panorama require garbage collection runtime? If so, that is the problem. Mac OS X 10.11 was the last major release that supported that.

Robert Ameeti
(949) 422-6866

Same here, Robert. I ordered a new MacBook Pro 15" minutes after its release, only after confirming on here that everyone was able to run Panorama 6 under Sierra. Such an odd quirk that suddenly without even updating the release number, just a new build, that compatibility is gone.

Hoping that Apple updates Sierra in a way that will function with the new MacBook Pro, or perhaps if the issue only affects a small section of Panorama 6 code, maybe Jim can compile something with a successful workaround?

While I’m excited to move over to Pan X, I’m guessing that transition that will take a while, so hopefully those of us who have lots of existing Pan 6 code can find a way to keep it operating while staying current.

• Jeff

No, Panorama does not, and never has used garbage collection.

This bug is fixed in the latest Sierra 10.12.2 Beta for Developers (build 16C41b).

• Jeff

Good news Jeff, I hope it carries through to the final release.

If anyone on here is interested, developer membership is $99 and only takes a few minutes to process for early access to this and future Beta releases, and other program benefits including the ability to report bugs. I hadn’t participated in the program in years, but a lot of nice perks for $99, in my opinion. Here’s the link:

On my iMac 27" it runs just fine. On my PowerBook it crashes and many dialogue windows are greyed out. There is a hint that it’s possible to re-install Pan 6 with a special tool in Pan X. Can anyone help me with that as it’s essential I have Pan 6 working on my PowerBook.
Thanks.

The tool is for downloading an installer that will run. First you choose Preferences from the Panorama menu.

and then you click Install Panorama

That opens a dialog you can use to download the installer.

Since you have a copy that works on your iMac, you could also replace your existing Panorama folder with a copy of the one on your iMac.

You can use the standard Panorama 6 installer within Sierra if you leave “Allow apps downloaded from Anywhere” checked in security preferences in El Capitan before upgrading to Sierra. Then even though that option is missing from Sierra normally, it will remain there and remain checked once Sierra upgrade is installed. If you later uncheck it though, it will no longer appear as an option.

You can also bring the “Allow Apps from anywhere” option back again using terminal if you’ve already installed Sierra by typing this in terminal:

sudo spctl --master-disable

Then you can remove the allow Apps downloaded from anywhere option yet again from terminal later by typing:

sudo spctl --master-enable

But does this also disable gateway randomization? You can always allow downloaded applications on a case by case basis. The problem is that gateway randomization separates the application from resources outside the application bundle. If it can’t find those resources, the installer can’t function.

The installer that Panorama X downloads is the regular installer, it’s just an alternative way of downloading it.

I think using Terminal to change this setting, or retaining the allow apps from anywhere from a previous El Capitan system, will both disable Gatekeeper completely, including randomization. I’m not positive though, but I’m pretty sure I had not difficulty doing an install this way. Maybe someone else can confirm? Now that I’ve finally got Panorama 6 working perfectly underly 10.12.2 beta, I don’t want to experiment any further just yet!

When I went from El Capitan to Sierra I found that the “Anywhere” option was missing in the Security & Privacy preference pane even though I’m pretty sure it was checked while still in El Capitan. Regardless, I used the terminal command noted above to force that option to reappear. Jim also said to check to see if my existing Panorama 6 installer would open after the change (he said there was no need to actually do the install). I tried it and it opened without a problem so I’m guessing that Gatekeeper had also been disengaged.

That’s good to hear. They just released the latest 10.12.2 as a Public Beta, so anyone can download it now just by signing up for Apple’s Public Beta program, if anyone else needs the update now.

[quote=“dave, post:31, topic:727”]
You could also replace your existing Panorama folder with a copy of the one on your iMac.
I did try that replacement method, not with the entire folder but just the application replacing the non working app. It was still grayed out in parts.
Thanks for your help and I have now downloaded a new installer but when I click install this is the message I receive:
"SHELL ERROR: ps: No ruser named ‘thomas’ ps: No ruser named ‘hidderley’ " (That is my name)
I have no idea what it means or where to look for a solution. Any help gratefully received.

See my reply under Panorama on macOS Sierra about OS X Cocktail. The Gatekeeper issue is resolved.

I have updated the Panorama Classic FAQ page with the latest information on this topic.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have disabled the Gatekeeper in the terminal window, but I still receive the identical “SHELL ERROR” message as above when I click on the “Install” button.