Setservervariable not changing server variable

I am trying to change the information in a server variable but it won’t change. Lets say I have a server variable named SV1 and a file global named FG1. I want to change the info in SV1 to what is in FG1. I am using:

setservervariable “”, SV1,«FG1»

The procedure seems to be working but the information isn’t changing. It should, right?

I don’t see anything obviously wrong with the code you have posted.

What is the code you are using to check what the value is?

I use:

bigmessage SV1 or an empty field = SV1

It also shows up on forms that use SV1 as the old info.

You have to use the servervariable( function to access the value of a server variable. Please consult the documentation.

Thank you Jim. I was able to get the server variable to display the updated info, however it still wasn’t displaying the new information on the form. I handled it another way though.

If you used the servervariable( function directly in a form object, you would need to come up with some way to update that object when you think the server variable value has changed. A technique I often use is with a dummy variable. Set your Text Display formula like this.

servervariable(...)+catcherror("",displayServerVariable)

When you want the Text Display object to update, use this code.

showvariables displayServerVariable

Note that the variable displayServerVariable is never defined, and has no value. It’s only a placeholder that allows you to force the Text Display object to redisplay.

Thanks again.