Server Docs and Startup

At the end of Server Setup the page is missing what to enter for Go to Folder ( ~/Library/Application Support/PanoramaX/Server ) and anything else you meant to say after that.

On my 3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 Mini running Big Sur the initial startup took a couple of minutes versus the ten to fifteen seconds suggested in the docs. I thought it had failed and was about to quit and try again. Subsequent startups are nearly instantaneous.

Although I chose Allow on the first launch, every start results in a Firewall dialog.

The Firewall settings show Pan X is given permission

There’s nothing I found on a quick look that indicates what OS requirements exist for the server. Trying the server startup on El Capitan failed. The process began, then terminated with the status as shown below. I have been running Pan X 10.1 on El Capitan since it was released.

Screen Shot 2021-01-14 at 10.30.38 AM

The oldest computer I have is macOS 10.12 (Sierra), so I have never tried it on El Capitan. I guess I’ll have to add documentation that 10.12 is the minimum requirement.

Are you saying it took over 120 seconds? Do you have notifications enabled – it should show you how long it took exactly, I have installed it on at least a half dozen machines I don’t think it has ever taken more than 40 seconds.

That’s to be expected. It’s installing any files that have changed, of course the first time you launch it ALL files have changed. When you get the next beta update it will not be instantaneous, though it won’t be nearly as long as the first time.

I have run the server on 10.16 and did not see this alert, so that is news to me.

Hardly unreasonable but worthy of a note.

I do have notifications on but failed to notice what it indicated. It was definitely a very long time before the launching note vanished and the Stop button was live.

Just now I activated the server on my MacBook ( also running Big Sur ) and the initial startup was only a few seconds long and the Firewall message also appears on every start up of the server. On either machine the Firewall needs to be off to avoid the dialog even if Panorama X and Panorama X Server have been given permission to allow incoming connections.

If the Firewall has to be off it doesn’t matter, but on the MacBook I had to manually add them. The Mini apparently added Panorama X Server when I clicked Allow in the dialog.

My initial install did take a bit of time but the truth is, I am not clear that the startup has really finished. Upon repeated startups of the server, I get the Stop Panorama X Server after about 8 seconds, but the animated circular circles immediately after ‘Server Status:’ continues to spin. I’m thinking that at some point that should stop spinning but it forever spins? Am I wrong on this?
macOS 11.1

Yes, it spins to indicate that the server is running.