Revert to Browse all versions doesn't seem to work

Just before a FormulaFill (that was apparently poorly thought out), I did a Save. I then executed my FormulaFill and a column was mangled.

I tried Undo, but no help. The next thought was Revert To… Browse All Versions…
but every version that was available to me had the same mangled column.

I’ve had similar problems with the revert facility on PanX. I haven’t tried it recently, but the last times I did I never succeeded. I think I remember that Jim said that it simply uses Apple’s code, but…

I would quit and restart Panorama X before I try to revert to a previously saved state of a database. In my experience, reverting works well. And if I remember correctly, it works better when only the data sheet is open.

Since you mention FormulaFill, I’m guessing this was code you had written, not the Morph Field dialog. If you want procedures you write to work with Undo, you must add the startdatabasechange statement at the top of the procedure.

Revert To / Browse All Versions… is crashing for me.

10.2.0.b27
macOS 12.4 Monterey

It does not crash here, but it is not working either.

As you see, in the left half the Current Document is missing. If I select a different date it should scroll to the version of that date and then allow to click one of the buttons.

Instead the dialog is closed immediately, and the old version is not recovered.

This feature has not really been working well since a number of versions already. At some point it did work only on Data Sheet windows.

But for now it seems to be better to use the regular Time Machine to recover Panorama X databases from backup.

This feature is implented with ZERO lines of code. There’s not even one line of code to call an Apple API. Instead, there is only a reference in the menu specification to the Apple API browseDocumentVersions:

When this menu item is chosen, the Apple menu handling code calls the browseDocumentVersions: method directly, without even calling any ProVUE code first.

As you can see, Apple provides extensive documentation on this API - one sentence. There is nothing for me to debug, nothing to tweak, no way to influence the behavior. There is absolutely no ProVUE code involved.

I found Robert’s crash from this morning. Here is the stack trace. Notice under the Source column there is nothing that says Panorama. Only Apple symbols: AppKit, CoreFoundation and libobjc. You can see how the menu item is processed in line 12, then passed to sendAction in line 11, then directly to the _browseVersions API in line 10. Then deep in the version display it crashes while starting an animation (line 4). Unfortunately, I have no ability to fix bugs in Apple’s code.

As @KJM suggested if you have a Time Machine backup, I would try that. I believe the Eclectic Light Company also has a free utility that can recover old versions of a file even if there is no backup – as long as the file hasn’t been moved to a different volume. I can’t remember the name of the utility, maybe Revisionist? Something like that.

If this can not be fixed, can it be removed from the File menu? Better to not offer a feature that does not work.

File / Rename… would be another that might as well be removed.

can it be removed from the File menu?

I’m loath to do that. It does work for some users.

File / Rename… would be another that might as well be removed.

I would do that in a heartbeat. However, that portion of the File menu is not under my control. Apple does voodoo magic on the File menu, so that item can’t be removed without also removing Save and Duplicate.

Y’all have no idea of some of the shenanigans going on under the hood in AppKit. The old “classic” MacOS was much less powerful, but it was also much more straightforward without secret undocumented magic going on under the hood. Do NOT look at the man behind the curtain.