Read Only Role?

Per the documentation, the User role can open and use the database. But is there a way to allow them to only Read a file?

I know that files can be set for Read Only in the Finder, but I need to have it apply only for some users.

Sorry, there is no read only role.

If the database is locked down so that the design can’t be modified, you could do this yourself I think. You can programmatically block editing of database fields, and only allow read-only forms to be opened. Setting this up would be a bit more work than you were hoping for, but it shouldn’t be too terrible for an experienced developer like you.

One Pan6 database I was asked to “adjust” had duplicate forms for everything. One form with editable fields and one form with fixed “display only” fields.

The fun part was when asked to do something simple like change a company address, it wasn’t on one form - or data in one place that was referenced by all the others - it was on 12 forms. Some of them were pulled from FlashArt, some of them from a DataCell, and some were a Text Label.

Isn’t there an “editable” toggle for a TextEdit object? Perhaps you could have one form and with the appropriate keydown situation when opened, it will toggle whether those fields are editable or not. Or you could just ascertain that when you open the file so their editable or “read-only” status is set in .Initialize

Yes, and data buttons (checkboxes and radio buttons) an pop-up menu buttons can also be disabled.

Perhaps you could have one form and with the appropriate keydown situation when opened, it will toggle whether those fields are editable or not.

Yes, this can be done.