"pop3" example database

Good Morning,
I am studying the “pop3” database example offered in PAN6. It works perfectly. Is there a code addition that would prevent the program from bringing in the same emails repeatedly or could it possibly delete the imported emails from the server once it has processed them? Your help would be greatly appreciated in adding the additional code. Thank you for a wonderful product and the discussion list for learning.

I’d like to take a look at this POP3 database example but can not find it.

My need is to ‘read’ or ‘import’ incoming emails into a database. My next step would be to parse the emails and post data via a url for automatic inclusion into an Enterprise web shared database.

Currently I can get alerts from companies via text or email but what I really want is their alert data to be entered into a database which could then parse the info back out to specific individuals and the db would also track activity based on the alert type and importance.

Look in Examples:Programming:Embedded Languages:Perl:

Inside your Panorama folder.

Or just use the Example Launcher wizard (under Wizards>Demos).

I’m not an expert, but I thought that pop3 servers usually did that automatically.

The action of not downloading already received emails is a standard function but the deletion from the server is a setting that the user typically gets control of. Something like a) Never b) After 1 day c) After 1 week

Apparently I had unchecked that Demos and Examples checkbox when originally doing the install of my Pano 6. After a few years, that extra space occupied for demo stuff seems a waste. Until you you need it. :slight_smile:

Having found the POP3 demo file, it is a great find.

What BillFew spoke of is that the demo does not communicate to the server which emails have already been downloaded (via their message ID) and thus should not be re-downloaded. The entire collection is re-downloaded each and every time that the Get New Mail procedure is run. The POP3 server needs instruction from the client as to what messages should not be downloaded. With POP3, each client that is accessing that same email account may have a different set of already received messages and the server needs to know which message would be ‘new’ for that particular email client app.