Panorama X extra popular outside the United States?

I’ve had the impression that there seemed to be a relatively high number of people signing up for Panorama X trials outside of the United States. Tonight I got curious and did a bit of research, and it turns out that 40% of Panorama X trials are from outside the US! That really is a high number. The percentage of paid subscriptions outside the U.S. is not quite as high, only 20%. But still, that is fantastically high compared to previous versions of Panorama – for Panorama 6, only 1.25% of users were outside the U.S. In fact, the number of paid users of Panorama X overseas is now more than triple the number of overseas users of Panorama 6. It will be great when the number of domestic users catches up with that ratio :slight_smile:

The top countries for Panorama X trials are Great Britain, Canada, Germany, Australia, and the Netherlands, and there are 68 countries in the list.

What does all this mean? I’m not quite sure, but I thought it was interesting. Perhaps users outside the U.S. are more open to new software? In any case, to all the overseas users of Panorama X, welcome and thank you! It’s exciting to see Panorama X spread all over the world.

A follow up, the web traffic to the provue.com website is even more international, only 38% of the traffic is from the U.S. Interestingly the #2 country for web traffic is India, but that traffic doesn’t seem generate further interest, only 0.3% of Panorama X trials were from India. The other top countries in web traffic are fairly similar to the top countries for trials, and there have been web visitors from 179 countries this year.

Sugoi!! (Which means “amazing” in Japanese :wink: Having used Panorama in Japan for the past 20 years, it’s exciting to hear that we “outsiders” are now on the rise!
And as an historical note, one of the early impressive things about Panorama was that it handled Japanese text perfectly under Mac OS 9 and earlier, which many other US-based applications did not! It was a pleasant surprise, and I always assumed it was because Jim followed all the Apple programmer guidelines.

Interesting!

As a Canadian newbie I have just downloaded Panorama and gone through the first few tutorials. I love the ZIP distance functionality and am wondering whether it’s possible to set up similar functionality using Canadian postal codes—ideally built-in for convenience, but it would be a great learning tool to set one up myself if the right data were available … is such a tutorial available, or might this functionality be built into Panorama in the future?

I have not looked at the Panorama’s Zip Distance features but you can do better than that! Calculating distances is just math using Lat & Long of the 2 locations. When postal codes (the international term for US Zip Codes) are used for calculating the distance, the center of the postal codes are used. This obviously is somewhat low in accuracy. Using a Google API (which is extremely simple to use), you can obtain lat & long for an address, any address, even Canadian addresses. :wink:

Then doing the same math that Panorama is using, you can obtain the distances between 2 addresses (as the crow flies.)

But then, there’s more. Using the Google API, you can also obtain the distance between 2 addresses via driving directions.

It is all possible, and really not that difficult.

The below snippet of code will get you a long way towards your desire as it will give you the lat & lng of an address. With that, a bit of math will give you the distance.

Go to https://developer.here.com/lp/mapAPIs?cid=Other-Google-MM-T1-Dev-Generic-E&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=Dev_PaidSearch_DevPortal_AlwaysOn and sign up for a free API key. Then insert your key in the code below where it states ‘key =’

Local LAddress, LResult, LLat, LLng

; Use something like this but use the field names that match your database.
; LAddress = Address1 + " " + City_District + " " + ST_Region + " " + Postal_Code

; For this example, I'll hardcode the address of Liberty of Parliament

LAddress = "111+Wellington+St,+Ottawa,+ON,+K1A0A9"

LoadURL LResult,"https://maps.googleapis.com/maps/api/geocode/xml?address="+replace(LAddress," ","+")+"&key=ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ1234567890"

If tagdata(tagdata(LResult,"<location>","</location>",1),"<lat>","</lat>",1) ≠ ""
LLat = tagdata(tagdata(LResult,"<location>","</location>",1),"<lat>","</lat>",1)
EndIf

If tagdata(tagdata(LResult,"<location>","</location>",1),"<lng>","</lng>",1) ≠ ""
LLng = tagdata(tagdata(LResult,"<location>","</location>",1),"<lng>","</lng>",1)
EndIf

Message "Lat: " + LLat +"
Lng: " +LLng

Thanks very much RAmeeti, I’ll dig into that!