Panorama X 10.2 now available from main ProVUE.com web page

Although Panorama X 10.2 is still a public beta and not the final release, it’s definitely more stable than 10.1 at this point. And for users of macOS 12 Monterey, it’s infinitely more stable, since 10.1 crashes immediately when launched on Monterey.

Since “crashing on launch” is not a good experience for potential new users, I’ve removed the 10.1 download link from the main provue.com page and replaced it with a link to the latest 10.2 public beta version. So new users will be able to download, install, and start running Panorama X without the fuss of hunting down the beta version.

If you’re still running version 10.1, I urge you to upgrade to the 10.2 release ASAP. And you’ll definitely want to upgrade before you start using macOS 10.12 Monterey.

There is still one big step before Panorama X 10.2 graduates from public beta to “golden master” status – converting the code to native M1 for Apple’s newest computers. Hopefully there will be progress to report in that area soon.

Panorama and 10.2 runs extremely slowly on my MB Air M1. Is this to be expected with Rosetta? TIA.

No, definitely not. I’ve only heard that on M1 machines Panorama X the same or faster than on Intel machines. I went from a top of the line Intel MacBook Pro to a 13" M1 MacBook Pro and Panorama X is mostly faster on the M1 machine, even though it is still running on Rosetta.

1 Like

I timed a set of complex Panorama X 10.2 procedures processing 95 files with an aggregate of 51,732 records on the fastest Intel-based MacBook Pro i9 and the entry level MacBook Air M1 running Rosetta.

This took 6 minutes 43 seconds on the MacBook Air M1 and 9 minutes 8 seconds on the MacBook Pro i9.

This should be significantly faster when Panorama 1.2 runs natively on M1 and then faster again when this runs natively on M1 Max.

1 Like

A file written on my laptop in 10.1.2 when tranferred to the desktop running 10.2 will not open:

Both computers are running Mohave. Does this make sense?

A file that was once saved in 10.2, and then modified in 10.1.2 will appear to be corrupted when you try to open it again in 10.2.

10.2 saves some information about the state of the file when the file is saved. It checks to see if that information matches its state when it is opened again. 10.1.2 doesn’t have that feature so it doesn’t update that information when it saves.

You can still open the file in 10.2 if you disable integrity checking in the preferences.

1 Like