Panorama 6.0 file "not in Author mode" and cannot be converted

I encountered this message when trying to convert a friend;s Panorama 6.0 database to Panorama X:

09%20pm

What does it mean and how do I (or how does he) fix it?

It means that the security on the file was not set in Author mode. If there is a password, you will need to know it. Hold the option key and select About Panorama…

If it was a shared file, it also needs to be converted to single user.

Author mode is discussed on page 184 of the Panorama 6.0 Handbook, I’ve excerpted the relevant section below. If the database is in User or Custom mode, Panorama X won’t open it.

The Privilege Dialog

The View menu normally gives you complete freedom to access any view in your database. If other people are going to be using your database you may want to prevent them from switching to unauthorized views.

To restrict user access to the View menu, use the Privilege dialog (shown below). To open this dialog on a Macintosh computer, hold down the Command or Option key and choose About Panorama from the Apple menu. To open this dialog on a Windows system, hold down the Control or Alt key and choose About Pan- orama from the Help menu. This dialog allows you to choose one of three possible user levels for the current database: Author, User, and Custom.

The Author level places no restrictions on the user—he or she can change the database design, draw graphics, open and close windows, and generally perform any Panorama operation described in this manual.

The User level allows the user to perform data entry and analysis, but prevents the user from changing the database design or changing the graphics in a form. User level disables the View menu, so the user cannot choose which view he or she wants to use. They can only use views that are opened automatically when the database is opened or views that are opened with procedures set up in advance.

The Custom level is even more restrictive. All of the tools in the tool palette disappear, along with all of the menus except for the File, Edit and Action menus. When the database is locked to the custom level, the user can perform data entry and predefined programs (procedures)—and that’s it. Everything else is forbidden.

To prevent unauthorized users from changing the user level, the Privilege dialog can be protected with a password. Once the password is set, you cannot open the Privilege dialog unless you know the password.

Hi,
Somehow I could not open the Privilege Dialog. Could it because I am using Panorama Direct? If so, what would be my solution?

I am attempting to upgrade to Panorama X, in order to continue using my Hindsight Inview/StockView software.

The InView/StockView files are locked and require passwords to access. But along with the Contacts and ImageLog files being offered for free in the Database Exchange, there are two PDFs about how to export info from HindSight’s Contacts and Catalogue

Other HindSight files have very similar export setups that these same steps can be applied to.

Thank you Jim! All the best, - Metin

Hello again Jim,
Before I delve into this further, I am assuming that the only parts of the program that I can use are Contacts and Catalogue. Billing and Licensing, Accounting, Correspondence and other functionalities are not available or have to be programmed by us. What are the other Hindsight files that can be used?

Thank you so much for making these files available to us in the Database Exchange. Much appreciated! Best, - Metin

Thank you for letting me know. I’ll start with Contacts and Images and see if I can manage to do further programming.

Forum system says that I reached the reply limit as a new user. That’s why I am editing the previous reply.

You’ve correctly understood the situation. You can get your data out of any of those older files. Aside from the contact and image data, it is pretty much up to you to deal with it.

The two files I’ve provided in the Database Exchange are unlocked and available for any custom touches you may choose to add. And this forum can provide you with a lot of guidance.

Is it possible that 2 different passwords can move a file from being in a restricted mode into Author mode? Or is it such that one and only one password can be used to move to Author mode?
(I do understand that the Author mode password can be changed once the file is in Author mode.)

Only one password can be associated with a Panorama 6 file. If you have a password that will unlock the file and allow you to get into Author mode, then you have the password. There is no other password.