Outlook for Sending Email?

Is there any way to use Outlook for sending mail? My former office all use Outlook; I would rather not have to set up mail accounts on every machine to accommodate Panorama mail sending.

It depends on Outlook’s AppleScript capabilities. I don’t have OutLook but in the Script Editor you can see if you can open a library within OutLook. Then you’ll know.

Outlook has an AppleScript library.

Well, that means it might be possible to write a channel to use Outlook, but doing so will require knowledge of both Panorama and AppleScript programming. It’s not like it is just enabling a checkbox to get this working, it will be a significant programming project, assuming it can be done at all (that depends on what features are accessible in Outlook’s Applescript dictionary).

Here is a simple Outlook AppleScript I found with a quick online search:

tell application "Microsoft Outlook"
    activate
    set myAccount to exchange account 1
    set newMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {subject:"Test Report", content:"This is a test", account:myAccount}
    make new recipient at newMessage with properties {email address:{name:"my name", address:"*** Email address is removed for privacy ***"}}
    delay 5
    send newMessage
end tell

Might be a good starting point.

Thanks. I able to send a test message on the first try! Next, attachments.

I would like to use a variable for the subject, body, and recipient of the email. I have got it working for the subject and body, but I cannot get an Applescript to work when trying to use a variable for the recipient. Here is what I have so far:

local lvsubject,lvcontent
lvsubject="Denoting the subject with a variable!"
lvcontent="I am trying to send to a gmail addresses"

applescript |||tell application "Microsoft Outlook"
    activate
    set newMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {subject:$«lvsubject»$,     content:$«lvcontent»$, account:myAccount}

make new recipient at newMessage with properties {email address:{name:"TC",     address:"someeail@gmail.com"}}

delay 5
    send newMessage
end tell|||

Can anyone suggest how to use a variable for the name and address?

Well, maybe I’m missing something here but I would think you would handle it the same way you handled the other variables embedded in the script. The name and address must first be assigned to variables and then inserted in the proper place in the script. Here is what I would try (I can’t check this since I don’t have Outlook):

local lvsubject,lvcontent,lvname,lvaddress
lvsubject="Denoting the subject with a variable!"
lvcontent="I am trying to send to a gmail addresses"
lvname="TC"
lvaddress="someeail@gmail.com"

applescript |||tell application "Microsoft Outlook"
    activate
    set newMessage to make new outgoing message with properties {subject:$«lvsubject»$, content:$«lvcontent»$, account:myAccount}

make new recipient at newMessage with properties {email address:{name:$«lvname»$, address:$«lvaddress»$}}

delay 5
    send newMessage
end tell|||

Yes that worked! I thought I had tried that without success, but now it does work. Thanks, Gary. Tom