Multiple Columns in Choice Boxes?

Hello Panorama enthusiasts!

Pan 6 allow multiple columns of choices, in the choice selection dialog. See below for an example:

Pan 6 Multiple Column Choice List

See below for a screenshot of the current situation, for the same database in Pan X.

Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 10.12.33 AM

Can Pan X arrange my choices into multiple columns, like in the first picture? If so, how?

Thanks in advance!

You spelled “jalapeno”, “cantaloupe”, and “rutabaga” wrong, if ya care :slight_smile:

I don’t think PanX has ever had multi-column popups. For a long list which is alphabetized, I often use a modkey like ‘option’ with an arrayreverse( to re-order the list, which allows faster selection for words like zucchini.

Thank you.

Thank you. I could do this, but then I would have to train people how to use it. The training could be done, but I hoping for a more elegant and straightforward solution, like the one from Pan 6.

IIRC it also could produce multi column menus for things like Fonts. Apple, pre-OSX, allowed for such, and early in OSX provided hooks for some legacy features to keep working. All such were discontinued as OSX evolved. So until Apple provides new tools supporting them you won’t find them in Panorama X
 or any other Apple compliant program.

Well, that’s not the answer I was hoping for. But, it allows me to move forward.

Thank you for your help.

Since your screenshot shows a form, you can just arrange radio buttons on the form any way you want. Of course then it will take up space all the time. You could put it in a separate form and use a tab panel to switch to it when you want to. Actually, I think this would be a good application for a Text List.

1 Like

Could you please explain in more detail on how this might be accomplished with a long list (in the data sheet view)?

I don’t use the datsheet view often, preferring a layout

Then I use buttons to perform tasks like selection or assignment.
I have about 200 subcategories so I use a popuplist for quick navigation/choice.

local mmkey
mmkey=info(“Modifiers”)
fileglobal lSublist,lSubch
lSubch=""
arraybuild lSublist,¶,"",SubCategory
/*lSublist builds a list of, in my case, recipe subcategories, like Alcohol, Almond, Anchovy, Appetizer, soon to be reversed to Zucchini, Winter Squash, Wine, Whole Wheat
*/
arraysort lSublist,lSublist,¶
arraydeduplicate lSublist,lSublist,¶

IF mmkey contains “option”
lSublist=arrayreverse(lSublist,¶)
ENDIF
/// then the arrayreversed lSublist pops up in reverse order, i.e. z,y,x,w,v rather than a,b,c,d,e.

You could also use the technique Craig is describing in the data sheet.

Further down on that help page it shows how to make a popup menu this way.