Morph field combine first/last name into existing field

I want to morph field , combine first/last name into existing field.

I already have the LAST,FIRST field. I have separate LAST and FIRST fields. Most of the database already has all 3 fields filled with appropriate data, but there are empties that need the LAST,FIRST field filled in order to work with a form I have created. I am certain there is a simple way to do this, but I can not figure out how to use the morph dialogue to do this.

Can someone give me some direction?
Thanks, CM

I figured it out!

Now another question…
I have a count field that I would like to reset each time there is a subset of records selected. The COUNT will vary depending on how many records are selected. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks, CM

What are you going to do with that “count”? Usually, such calculations are transitory. You need it for something now, but you don’t need keep it.

Think on this … you say you have a “count” field - and that means every record has a count field - but a “count” is a calculation based on a collection of records - so … maybe another construction is closer to the mark.

As an aside, I really try to stay away from giving a field the same name as a Panorama verb or type. For example, many people have a field in their database named “Date”. Nothing illegal about that. But I’m guessing it trips them up from time to time when they have a Date field type and various Date functions.

PanX has a handy feature where you can give a field a “Date” title to show in the DataSheet view, with the field assigned a different name for internal machinations.

Now that integer “count” field does lend itself to old-timey techniques like filling all your records with the number 1 in that field, then for whatever records you select or group up on, you can “Count” that field. Note that because the number of selected records is always known/visible, it was mostly used to count/display the records in subgroups when you would group up.

For example, you could group up on a City field, then Count on that field to see how many records were in each city cluster. But the city field was text while a count was numeric. So instead you’d group up on City, then Count on your “count” field (see what happens when you name a field the same as a verb), and have a count for the number of cities in each subgroup.

What I’ve given you is a history lesson. I’m pretty sure there’s a much better/cleaner/slicker way to do it now.

Our imaginations run wild.

What I saw him asking for was really a sequence so that he could easily select a record by keying a line number for each selection that occurred.

At the bottom of the replies, there’s a sentence that says I will see a “count” - as in “a total”. Of course, the replies are presented in sequence. English is so much fun. But then, don’t the English have Counts and Earls and Dutchesses?

CM - can you get what you want with Info(“Selected”)?

I must have missed that sentence. And I continue to not see that sentence. But I did see a ‘count field’. And as Counts are typically Summary type things, and Sequences are typically field type things, I’ll stick with my Sequence guess. Who knows? Only the OP.