Linking to Amazon etc

I am creating a personal book catalog I used My Mailing List as a basic template. I have a column for URLs linking to Amazon or Abe’s Books, etc. How can I simply click on the URL in the URL column and be taken to Amazon.? I believe there is a thing called linkanywhere but how do I find it and what do I do with it?

By the way, my limited skills notwithstanding, this is a tremendous program. Your help files are fantastic.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Assuming these columns you are talking about are in the data sheet, it will take more than just a click on the URL to trigger any sort of action. You will also have to run a procedure.

We can write a one line procedure we will call “Open URL”. That one line would read

openurl URL

I’m assuming your your URL column actually has that name. Then, when you want to go to a url that is in your database, you would click on it, and then choose Open URL from the Action menu. The web page will open in your default web browser.

It doesn’t matter what you name the procedure, as long as it makes sense to you. Whatever you name it, that’s the name that will appear on the Action menu.

A couple of things to add to Dave’s remarks. First, make sure your url contains the full address as in “http://www.apple.com” or even “http://apple.com”. if you only had “apple,com” you would get an error “There is no application set to open the URL apple.com.”

Lastly, you can put the procedure code in the URL field itself so it is triggered when closing the field after it has been opened for editing. In other words you would double click the URL field and then hit Enter and the procedure code will be triggered and you will go to your default browser and the proper URL. Here is what this might look like in the data sheet:

You could also have the code triggered by a hot key as well. Many ways to skin this cat but nothing that will trigger it with a single click in the data sheet cell.

Thank you, that is very gratifying to hear. Countless long hours went into creating the documentation, so it’s always nice to know that effort is appreciated, especially since I’m working on some new documentation right now :slight_smile: