"Illegal File Name" when using "Add Remote Server"

We have 3 Panorama Enterprise servers in daily production, all working flawlessly on our LAN. Of the three servers, one is running v5.5, one is running v5.5.2 and the last is on v6.0. On our LAN, these are all discovered automatically and work fine. We’ve recently setup a VPN so folks can work from home, and auto-discovery doesn’t work via those VPN connections, so we have been adding the servers manually, via the Wizards > Sharing > Available Servers > Add Remote Server button. This works perfectly for the servers running v5.5.2 and v6.0, but doesn’t work for the server running v5.5. When we try to add that server, the dialog pops up asking us to “Enter domain or IP address”, we enter the LAN IP address, and it then shows a dialog reading “Illegal file name”. After that, no changes take effect. Going through this process w/ the 2 other servers works fine and we’re able to connect to the servers, download and synchronize files as expected.

I’ve crawled through the servers to compare their configurations, and the configurations are as close to identical as my eyes can tell. The 5.5 and 5.5.2 servers are both on 10.6.8 and the 6.0 server is on 10.7.5. We’re mostly using clients running Panorama v6.0.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this “Illegal file name” error? (I’m happy to provide more details, if they would be helpful.)

PS - I thought about trying to upgrade the v5.5 server to v5.5.2, but can’t find a download link on the website. How can I go about upgrading this one server from v5.5 to v5.5.2, in case that could fix the issue?

Thanks,
Clayton

I don’t know the answer to your question, and can’t remember anything about 5.5 vs. 5.5.2. It’s been a decade since Panorama 6 was released, so there is no download available for 5.5.2 (or any version of 5.5).

we enter the LAN IP address

This is a publicly available static IP address, correct?

I do want to alert you that many years ago it was determined that mixing 6.0 clients with a 5.5 server (or the reverse) can cause problems with deleted records. In a mixed configuration Panorama can mix up which records are deleted and which are not deleted. We recommend using all 6.0 clients with a 6.0 server.

Thanks for getting back to me, Jim. Yes, that is a route-able, static IP address. It’s the address shown in the Panorama Server status window, and I’m able to use to ping, file share, ssh, etc to the computer over the VPN connection, but when using it to “Add Remote Server”, it reports “Illegal File Name”. Heck, it even reports “Illegal file name” if I try to add the server by IP on the LAN! As I said, the same process works just fine on the other servers.

I don’t know the exact mix of clients we have, but I think they’re all Pan 6; it’s just the servers that are a mix. Regardless, deleted records aren’t the issue and all of these clients work just fine w/ the servers when they’re on the LAN; they just can’t connect to this one server over the VPN.

And yes, I know that we’re working with old software, but I have to work with what I’ve got. We’re working on an upgrade plan, but with a mix of legacy constraints, it’s a slow process.

Thanks so much for your help!

I have the installer for 5.5.2 server. Send me a direct message and we’ll figure out the best way to get it to you. If you don’t know how to direct message, contact me via the details on my website at www.acaciasystems.com .

I realized this wasn’t your current issue, I just wanted to make sure you are aware of this since it hasn’t been discussed on the forum for probably 8 or 9 years, so I figured you might not be aware of it. As I recall one of the symptoms was that a client would attempt to edit a record and there would be an error message from the server saying that the record didn’t exist. It took a while to track down that this problem was related to deleting records in an environment where 5.5 and 6.0 were mixed.

Ah, OK, thanks, Jim. I’ve inherited this setup from a previous generation of IT staff, and I think I recall them mentioning something about that, so I think any issues w/ that have been sorted out previously. If you have any ideas on where to look to resolve the “Illegal file name” problem, I’d greatly appreciate it.

@JeffK thanks for the offer! I reminded me to dig out our archive of old software to see if we have a copy. If I don’t turn one up, I’ll get in touch.

@admin am I correct in assuming that upgrade from v5.5 to v5.5.2 shouldn’t cause any licensing issues? (ie the license for 5.5 will still work with 5.5.2?)

Thanks again!

That’s correct, no problem with that.