Scenario: I look for my Wif-Fi icon and it is there. But attempting to update a record gives me a record can not locked because the session is not open (something similar.)
I check the server via Screen Sharing and yes, the server has again stopped. I restart serving in the Panorama Preferences Server pane.
I go back to the shared file and use the Disconnect from Server, then Connect to Server. It says all is good. But things are wiggy. I have a table (file) with 5 line items. If I have a record with 3 items filled in, I attempt to further update that record and add a 4th item. When I do that items 2 & 3 dissapear! I re-enter them. This happens on the next record as well. I figure I’ll close the file and re-open it to get things straight. After re-opening it and getting the Already Synchronized message, I try again. But it continues to empty previous line items when I attempt to add an additional line item to a record.
I have a field in the file that is a transaction of all entries in that file. I check the transaction field and sure enough, it does not show that I have entered anything in fields 2 & 3 in a prior session when in fact I am seeing data in fields 2 & 3 which causes me to try to enter data into field 4.
What I realize is that while I was previously working on the file adding data, I was actually off-line and all of my entering into those fields 2 & 3 was only local. But from my perspective, when I close the file, and re-open it, and get the Already Synchroized message, that I am working on a synched, correct file. But alas, any record that had been updated while offline, does show data in the fields, but it really is not there as far as the server is concerned. If I attempt to add to a later line item, the server locks the record, accepts the new data, and then empties the previous line item fields to synch the record in front of me with what the server knew about that record.
O my. So every record that I am looking at may or may not have good line item data. And I’ll only know when I attempt to make an additional change. Fortunately I have another source for what that 2nd & 3rd line items fields should be. But having data ‘look like it is there’ and it really is not is so not fun. And only being able to find which records have ghost data is not easy.
The only fix I can imagine is to delete the server copy, then figure out how to Force to Single User, and then re-upload to the server.
I have never used the server in a real multi-user mode as I’m wanting to wait until I find it better than Pan6. But I’m finding that using my files as a single user is safer than using them as a shared file. I was imagining that the shared file would give me a backup position if my local copy went wonky but in fact the shared situation is causing the issues.
My Enterprise server never quits. My Pano X Serve regularly quits serving.