Formula for Generating Customer ID

«Cus ID»=?(«Cus ID»="",upper(«L Name»[1,3])+?(«Phn H»≠"", «Phn H»[6,9], “xxx”), «Cus ID»)

…used to work in v6, but doesn’t in v10. I’ve posted this formula in the Formula section of the Field Properties for the field «Phn H» (the final term in this formula). Once the Phn H has been entered the Cus ID is generated. But here it fails, because it needed to do this by fieldvalue( , (and it told me so).
Screen Shot 2021-12-26 at 8.07.03 PM

I’m pretty sure all it needs can be gotten by the ?(-. We’re just copying from two text fields in the same record. Any comments? TIA.

I think the problem is that the way this is written this needs to go in the Code section, not the Formula section. You have not written a formula, you have written a one line program (an assignment statement).

Did you post the wrong screen shot? I don’t see anything about fieldvalue( in this screen shot.

Got it! 10Q.

Yes I did grab the wrong screen shot:
Screen Shot 2022-01-04 at 7.46.38 PM

Ok, well that screen shot doesn’t make sense to me either, I don’t see how the formula you posted could produce that error. Anyway, hopefully moving that code to the Code panel will fix the issue for you.