Find & Sort not working in trial version

Apologies for repeating this post. Still learning to navigate the forum, and this seems like the best place for this question.

I downloaded the trial version and imported a csv file without problems. However, when I try to use Find or Search the program bounces me back to the trial/registration window, reopening it if necessary. Running Big Sur 11.5.2. Any ideas? I’d really like to explore these functions before deciding whether to purchase, so that gives me a 7-day window.

Added: basically nothing in the toolbar is working. Clicking on the record count also throws me back to the “Try Panorama X” window.

There seems to be a problem with the Provue server. In an attempt to duplicate your situation, I attempted to log off, and received an error message. Unfortunately, it did in fact log off, and now I can’t log back on. That may be the source of your problem. It’s not recognizing your status as a trial user, and is simply treating you as someone who isn’t logged on.

Thanks. That’s actually reassuring. I was afraid the trial version was maybe a rump version where you couldn’t actually do very much. Server problems are a familiar issue.

Could you or someone else please post when the server problem seems to be resolved? That way I won’t waste my trial days.

Sorry you got locked out because you tried to help me. :slightly_frowning_face:

I doubt that your 7 day clock ever started, but I’m sure Jim will clarify, once he has seen this topic.

1 Like

There was some maintenance done on the provue.com server this weekend, which resulted in an outage for about 30-45 minutes Saturday night. As far as I know it has been working fine all Sunday, and as far as I can tell it is working now. The server logs show normal activity all day on 8/15 (Sunday) and so far for the first two hours of 8/16.

The server database shows that @jlehman23 signed up for the trial at 8:24 PM tonight. The server definitely was working then, as the signup appears to have gone without a hitch.

I am completely baffled by the symptoms you are reporting. Once you sign up for the trial, you should have a fully functioning copy of Panorama with no restrictions. I don’t know of any situation where it should throw up the Registration dialog when doing a search, even if you were completely logged out.

I just looked in the source code and there is nothing there to do that ever. Very strange. And I can’t imagine any reason a problem on the server, if there was one, would cause such symptoms.

Your Panorama preferences may have gotten corrupted somehow. There is no way to uncorrupt them, but they can be deleted using these steps.

• If it is open, Quit from Panorama X
• Open a new window in the Finder
• Choose “Go To Folder” from the “Go” menu
• Enter ~/Library/Preferences/ and press the “Go” button
• Find the file “com.provue.PanoramaX.plist” and move it to the trash
• Relauch Panorama X (this will automatically create new, default preferences)

Normally after this process you have to log in again. I think when you are running a trial you have to start the trial again, but it should notice that one is already running and resume it.

If this doesn’t work please get back and we’ll have to debug further. Several other users started the trial on Sunday and there haven’t been any other reports of problems so far. I guess the other thing you could try would be to re-download and re-install the software. But I’d try clearing preferences first.

FYI, clicking on the record count is a shortcut for using the Find/Select menu command. So it’s not surprising it would do the same thing as the menu command. Do the other tools work?

@dave I don’t know why you would be running into a problem, if you still can’t log on by the time you see this perhaps you should try clearing the preferences also.

Allthough the server is mostly working, I have verified that there is a problem with logging on and off. Not sure why, as that section of the code was not modified this weekend, but sometimes that happens. I have reversed all of this weekend’s work and now log on/log off is working correctly again. Dave, this change should not affect your sysptoms, but who knows. In any case, I would try the preference clear.

I launched version 10.1.2 this morning and then chose Site License… and this is what I saw.

Launching the beta got me a notification that I wasn’t logged on. Then I used 10.1.2 to log off and back on, and all is well.

Nothing in the toolbar was working last night. I’ll try the steps you recommended and see what happens.

Well, it’s working now. My best guess is that Dave was right about my not being entered into the system properly. There wasn’t a preferences fille, and I had to deal with the registration screen again. But it’s now up and running and appears fully functional.

After slogging through some of the other choices out there, it’s a joy to deal with a well-constructed user interface. I’m going to play with it a bit more, but I suspect I’ll be purchasing shortly.

Thanks to all for your help.

1 Like