Find/Select Dialog Logic Error

I’m getting the following error every time I try to choose a specific field to search in a database. This is even after restarts.

The field obviously exists and is set for Text but nothing else in particular.

The Find/Select dialog does not work if the database is locked down so that the user can’t modify the design. This is a known issue.

In this case, the database is not locked down nor is it locked to any account.

It’s one specific field of the three fields in the db that cannot be selected.

I guess you’ve run into a new problem. I created a database with a CPT Code Description field and it worked fine. If you want me to investigate further you’ll need to send me a database with exact instructions.

The problem is with the name of the CPT Code Description field. The second space in this fieldname is actually NOT a space, but rather an Option-Space. Panorama is actually fine with this, it will take any character. However, it appears that Apple’s menu code is converting the option-space into a regular space. So when you choose this fieldname, the internal code is getting a corrupted version of the name. So though as you say the field “obviously” exists it actually doesn’t exist.

I don’t think there is any way to fix this in Panorama, and someone at Apple probably thinks this is a feature so I don’t think they will be fixing it. However, it’s probably a bad idea to have a field name with a non-space space in it, so my recommendation would be to edit the field name to put in a regular space. I tried that and the error message went away. However, if you have any procedure code with this field name it will be a bit more complicated - you’ll have to find every occurrence of the field name and fix it.

Sorry for all the trouble then. This was imported data and presumably that’s where the Option-Space got installed. I wouldn’t knowingly do it myself.

I have also just run into problems with the Find/Select dialog. I keep on receiving an error “Internal error in dialog logic. CALL statement failed, procedure queryFieldChanged does not exist”. Here’s the query.

I cannot duplicate this error. However, if your copy of Panorama was damaged it could cause this error. I would suggest throwing your current copy of PanormaX.app into the trash and downloading a fresh copy from provue.com (click on Download Trial and follow the instructions).

Thanks Jim. I did as you suggested - deleted and new download.

So, it worked for one select. Then I tried to do the same select having selected reverse (thus a bigger dataset) and ended up with behaviour I also saw yesterday but did not report at that time with the following dialog.

At this stage also, the ability to quit Panorama was lost:

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 10.48.26

I will mention that the database I am looking up to was, under Pan 6, once upon a time a shared database. I think I’ve seen something on these pages that this can cause problems. But I have taken no steps to share in Pan X. And there is nothing in the file’s security or server options to suggest it is anything other than a single file.

That should not make any difference.

Since you couldn’t quit I assume you force quit. Then what happened when you tried to run it again? Did it run once, or never worked again?

I don’t know what is causing this problem for you. Instead of using the Find/Select dialog, you might want to try writing a one line procedure to do the selection. It would simply be:

select lookup("RG UniversalX","ID",ID,"Location","",0) = "London"

Note that I also changed «Location» to "Location". I’m not sure if using «…» is a problem but I am absolutely sure that using the quotes will work.