Find problem on one iMac but not another

Same database in use from different Macs. On my Mac running Big Sur connected to my office via VPN I have no problems. On my work iMac in the office when I run the same database I get errors whenever I try to Find records I get an error and have to force quit from Panorama since I cannot get out of the Find dialog. Any click on a button won’t work. At first I thought the database was damaged but works great from home. The database is on a file server and we are sure that only one Mac has it open at a time. I am looking for files on the work iMac that I can try deleting (while the database is closed). I suspect a cache got corrupted.

We do not recommend keeping databases on a file server.

I did some more testing and the problem happens with any Panorama X database on this iMac. The error is Dialog program error – dialog will be aborted. I’ve deleted the Provue cache with no improvement. Any suggestions for next step. Do I just replace the app?

Your Panorama preferences may have gotten corrupted somehow. There is no way to uncorrupt them, but they can be deleted using these steps.

• If it is open, Quit from Panorama X
• Open a new window in the Finder
• Choose “Go To Folder” from the “Go” menu
• Enter ~/Library/Preferences/ and press the “Go” button
• Find the file “com.provue.PanoramaX.plist” and move it to the trash
• Relauch Panorama X (this will automatically create new, default preferences)

If you’ve set up any options in the Panorama X preferences window, you will need to set them up again.

If this doesn’t work it’s very easy to download a fresh copy of Panorama from the provue.com web site, just click the link for the trial version (which is the same as the “real” version). But I think the preferences is more likely to be the culprit.

I have:

1. deleted the cache folder
  2. deleted the preferences
  3. deleted the Panorama app and replaced it.

Problem continues.

I have no idea what “cache” folder you are referring to.

Unfortunately I don’t have any further ideas for what to try – this is not a known problem. Did it ever work on this computer? Do other Panorama dialogs work ok? What version of macOS is running on this iMac?

One thing I can tell you – you don’t have to force quit when this occurs. Instead, just press the ESC key. In the unlikely event that doesn’t work, hold down the Function key (fn) and press ESC.