Endless beachballs

This doesn’t happen real often (thank heavens) but when it does it’s a real show stopper. For whatever reason, doing something gets the beachball going and nothing can be done until it’s finished. At the moment I’ve been watching it for at least 10 minutes and it looks like I’ll have to force quit. With Pan 6 pressing Command-period would sometimes give me control back, but it doesn’t work with X, probably by design. There’s no reason to think it’s executing one of my procedures that got in an endless loop, but there’s no way of knowing. Is there a known cause or solution? I’ve not seen any pattern to what sets it off, and sometimes it’s reasonably brief but still happens on every mouse click for a while. I’ve seen other comments about beachballs on the forum, but it’s never been the main topic. Funny thing, even though a mouse click won’t do anything in any of the windows while it’s spinning, it will bring a clicked window to the front which shows it’s at least a little sentient.

There seem to be some processes which are really, really slow, and Panorama X is unresponsive until they are finished. View as List forms are especially slow.

I realize that Pan X has a lot of optimizing left to do, but the sporadic nature of what I’m seeing doesn’t seem to correspond with any particular task. Clicking on …something… gets the process started, and after waiting for it to come back, every subsequent click gets another beachball and a wait. Sometimes it magically clears itself and we’re back to work. Pan X mostly works fine without this, don’t get me wrong. [The event yesterday that got me steamed up may have been something else, I think it started with a simple click of the window close button (the Apple one) and it beachballed for 45 minutes until I forced-quit.] So I’m wondering if others see this and whether there is an explanation, a pattern in what starts it, and/or a recovery path.

@staylor246 I’ve never seen anything like that, and I have no idea what would cause something like that. So if you can identify anything to pin this down please let me know.

FWIW, it still happens to me fairly often … even with the latest (b29)

Anyone else seeing this?
Even better: any ideas how to resolve/address this so it doesn’t occur? :wink:

Thanks!

It has happened frequently on my machine running Catalina 10.15.3 with the latest Pan (b29). To me it acts like a memory problem and I do know my unused memory for the computer is running low. Usually the wait time is one or two minutes, then I can continue…

And I thought it was just me. I do admit to abusing Panorama as I currently have 29 databases open at one time. lol

One thing that can cause beachball is using two or more lists that navigate thruough the database at the same time. For example if you have the data sheet open at the same time as a view-as-list window, or the data sheet open at the same time as a separate window with a text list or matrix with the Navigate option enabled. Or even two lists on the same window that are both set up to Navigate. Whenever you click on one of these objects, Panorama will send messages to all the others telling them to move to the new positions. Then these objects will send out nesssage to all the objects saying they’ve oved. It’s kind of like passing a ball around a circle, but the ball keeps circling even when it’s made it around

This is just a theory, I haven’t been able to track down the underlying communication between the objects. But i do know you’ll get much snappier performance if you have just one of these types of lists open at a time. if you’re using the data sheet, don’t use a view-as-list form and don’t use a text list or matrix with the navigation option. Or if you do, close the data sheet before you do. It will be much snappier. I’ve mentioned this before but not on this thread.

1 Like

FWIW, most of my databases do not have any Form windows, only a Data Sheet.

The beachball is mostly a nuisance as it most often resolves itself in 10-20 seconds.

After working pretty much all day in PanX, I got my first extended beachball of the day. I had edited a form blueprint, then clicked Update Form. It was probably between one and two minutes before the beachball got done.

A few other blueprints had been edited moments earlier without any such delays.

??

… using two or more lists that navigate thruough the database …

Yeah … that’s a good reminder.
Thanks, Jim!