Databases crashing Panorama and disappearing data

I recently (finally) bought a new MacBook Pro, and celebrated by finally upgrading to Panorama X. I could have timed it better as it is taking much more time than I have available right now (I had anticipated a smoother transition). My immediate problem is that one of my two most important databases had imported from 6 relatively well. Most of the routines needed work, but that was reasonable given the extent of the rewrite. After using it for about three weeks, and about a week after eliminating several obsolete fields, the database crashes Panorama X whenever I try to open it. Unfortunately this means I cannot recover the data as I cannot export. And, since I cannot open the database, I cannot try to revert to any previous versions. I will be trying to repair the data by hand, but the saved version after the import now crashes the app within a few searches or other operations.

Another database I imported seemed to be working fine as I updated it daily. Then it suddenly reverted to the version from the day I imported it, losing all the data I had entered in the previous four weeks. All the version I could revert to were the same old version without the new data. This is relatively trivial in terms of the data as this was a sheet that I use to track my weight. (After the import Panorama had autonomously added fields for “fat” and “body water” which I found curious). I am guessing the data is gone for good, but would be curious as to possible explanations so I might avoid this in the future.

I am a longtime user, since the original Overvue, and would very much like to continue as I am old and have no desire (nor perhaps ability) to learn a new system. But if I cannot rely on Panorama X to manage and preserve my data, at least as reliably as Panorama 6 this old dog will have to learn new tricks. Any help or clarifications would be most welcome.

1 Like

If you look under “Find & Open” in PanX’s Help it shows a trick for opening just the data sheet in a PanX database, which might let you rescue your data. Then you can attack the separate problem of determining what is causing your crash on launch problem in better spirits.

1 Like

That was a big help, thank you very much. The corrupted database opened in sheet only mode. I suspect I had a Pan 6 form open which might well cause problems as forms are no longer interactive. I will keep that in mind moving forward and discard or rebuild my Pan 6 (interactive) forms.

Even after all these years, I continue to be impressed with how responsive these forums are. The timeliness, knowledge, and dedication of Panorama users is remarkable.

Since you got them open that way your problem was likely either a corrupt form or something in an “.Initialize” procedure. Once your data is rescued to a new database lacking either you may be able to try copying over forms and/or procedures to it using “View Organizer…” If you were able to open the ‘corrupted’ database that way you probably can also open it with a procedure using “opensecret” which opens it with no open windows (thus no open forms and no visible datasheet) and without running .Initialize procedures. But “View Organizer…” can see them and can copy over individual forms and procedures to other databases. With trial and error you can determine which ones already work and which need work.

If I’m reading between your lines properly I suspect your Pan 6 “interactive” forms are of the “View-as-a-list” sort.

I go back to Pan 2, but never used that kind of form much and am not expert on them. However, I’ve noticed in forum many reports of PanX problems from folks enamored with them in earlier versions. Including, IIRC, that having View-as-a-list forms and datasheets BOTH open can lead to crashes if the former contains certain types of objects. Searching this forum would supply more details. The general responses seem to include two points, 1) View-as-a-list forms can’t be made to do under PanX all their fans loved in Pan6. Don’t expect Jim to ‘fix’ them. 2) There are new or improved other form tools available in PanX, which do work and usually satisfy those missing the former functionality… once set up. Check out Text List Objects and Matrix Objects in Help for starters.

1 Like

Once you’ve moved to Panorama X, there really is no such thing as a Panorama 6 form, or Panorama 6 anything. When you open a Panorama 6 database, what Panorama is really doing is creating a new Panorama X database, then it examines each item the Panorama 6 database and makes a new item that matches. Then the Panorama 6 database is discarded from memory (the disk copy is not touched). So Panorama X is really doing the same thing you could have done manually by putting the 6 and X databases side by side, and you manually creating the matching form objects.

forms are no longer interactive

I think what you mean is that View-As-List forms do not allow editing, only display. But regular forms work just as before. @JohnB’s explanation was excellent so I won’t repeat it.

Then it suddenly reverted to the version from the day I imported it, losing all the data I had entered in the previous four weeks. All the version I could revert to were the same old version without the new data. This is relatively trivial in terms of the data as this was a sheet that I use to track my weight. (After the import Panorama had autonomously added fields for “fat” and “body water” which I found curious). I am guessing the data is gone for good, but would be curious as to possible explanations so I might avoid this in the future.

That is indeed very strange. I have never heard of this happening before. Of course it could easily be done on purpose with Revert or with Time Machine, but since you didn’t mention either of those I assume those were not involved.

After the import Panorama had autonomously added fields for “fat” and “body water” which I found curious

Panorama does not autonomously add fields, especially appropriately named fields. It’s just not that smart. Those fields must have been in the Panorama 6 database, maybe they were hidden and you forgot about them.

And, since I cannot open the database, I cannot try to revert to any previous versions.

This actually isn’t true, there is a way to revert outside of Panorama, though I can’t remember what it is right now. Panorama uses Apple’s standard code for versions, and there is a way to recover versions even if you don’t have the app that opens them.

Also, if you are using Time Machine you should be able to recover many previous versions that way.

1 Like