Could not be saved. The file has been changed by another application

In the last week or so I get this message frequently and unpredictably:

[FILENAME] could not be saved. The file has been changed by another application.
Click Save Anyway to keep your changes and save the changes made by the other application as a version, or click Revert to keep the changes from the other application and save your changes as a version. You can also click Save As to save your changes to a different file.

What is going on and how do I make it stop?

BTW, I cancelled a OS27 update after checking this forum yesterday… Let me know when it is safe to emerge again.

This has been addressed on the forum before.

I saw that but AFAIK I was not autosaving anything, hence I ignored it.

This does not occur with any other files except perhaps in wildly rare circumstances when it is not autosaving but something I did.

I am not sharing with Dropbox, tho I did years ago when it was first possible and I was using more than one computer. I am not sharing on iCloud.

I have been using Panorama since the early 90s or whenever it first debuted. I’ve been through uncountable iterations and adaptations. I have not changed a single setting or anything else in the last 2 weeks that I can even imagine would result in this message.

Obviously, I will need to look elsewhere for any real help. Thanks, Jim.

The message reminds me of non-helpful “error messages” of yore.

I once had to diagnose a program that would report, “Invalid Product Number”. You know the program “knew” what the bad number was because it tripped an error message. And wouldn’t it be handy if instead it said, “3743 is an invalid product number” so you’d know what to look for and what was wrong with it.

When I see, “The file has been changed by another application,” I’d think there would be “fingerprints” of that other application, even if just a date/time when it was modified/changed.

Wouldn’t it be handy if the error message included that information.

but AFAIK I was not autosaving anything

Panorama uses Apple’s NSDocument system for handling files. This system is always autosaving, you cannot disable this.

Wouldn’t it be handy if the error message included that information.

The error message is generated by Apple. Panorama displays the error message as it is received from Apple’s code. That’s why the error message is the same one produced by Pages and other applications.

Actually, I suspect that Apple’s code that generates this error message doesn’t actually know the information you are asking about. It probably only knows that there is some change. Most likely it doesn’t know what application caused the change or when it happened, only that some change occurred.

Yeah, but … it knows the date it detected the problem. And if the routine runs every day, then the day it fails is probably within 24 hours of when the problem happened. But if that “every day” access were disturbed, I guess users would know the “It worked yesterday, now it’s not working.” time frame themselves.

Maybe that’s like the murder mysteries where one person wants an autopsy to determine time of death while another detective looks at the victim’s broken/stopped watch and makes the determination. But now it’s a common trope for the evildoer to set and break the watch at the time he/she wants the detective to believe was the time of death.

This isn’t MS’s Windows(x), so misleading messages aren’t at the forefront.

I’ll accept that Apple did the best it could with what it had and move on down the road :slightly_smiling_face:.