Can't log on to Pan X

One user has an m2 airbook running macOS 13.3.1

She’s been trying to use Panorama X ever since she got her new M2 airbook a few months ago, but has never been able to get logged in to our account. She has tried at home, and at our office, where both the office computer and my M2 airbook are logged into the panorama account.

When we launch Panorama X and open the site license window, it is already logged on, but the Role: pop-up menu is blank. After clicking the Log Off button, the spinner in the lower left corner spins for a while and then just stops. Nothing else happens. Panorama remains logged on.

I trashed the Panorama app and the Panorama X folders in Library-Application Support.

Downloaded pan x and unzipped it.

Launched it - same, logged on, clicked Log Off, contacting server, then nothing.

This user migrated from her previous Intel MacBook to the new M2 airbook before ever trying to use Panorama X. The firewall is off.

Have you been to the location to see the physical setup? By “physical”, I mean what apps are on the computer, what updates have, or haven’t been done, the files and perhaps second or third versions of the same app.

My experience is, sometimes, just over the phone, the user isn’t as comprehensive, or correct when describing the environment. The fact that many, many, many of us have installed PanX on M2 Macs, Intel Macs, and various OS’s indicates the issue is not within Panorama itself, but Panorama in conjunction with something about her computer. For example, is she using a VPN? I’m not saying that’s the problem; I use one all the time. However, occasionally it does get in the way of something I’m trying to do.

When you say, “contacting the server” - are you referring to the tie back to ProVUE’s login server or the PanX server setup when not in Single User Mode?

Maybe the preferences got corrupted during the migration. There is no way to uncorrupt them, but they can be deleted using these steps.

• If it is open, Quit from Panorama X
• Open a new window in the Finder
• Choose “Go To Folder” from the “Go” menu
• Enter ~/Library/Preferences/ and press the “Go” button
• Find the file “com.provue.PanoramaX.plist” and move it to the trash
• Relauch Panorama X (this will automatically create new, default preferences)

I figured that got rid of any corrupted .plist. But if not, starting complete fresh is the way to go.

Then open/create a simple NEW file first, instead of trying to open something made earlier.

OK our nonprofit had a board meeting, so I was able to check out the office manager’s computer again. Quit panorama, trashed the preferences, rebooted the computer, and launched panorama X. This time the normal license screen came up and it wasn’t logged in. However, putting in our credentials for the user didn’t work. Again the spinner in the lower left corner spun, it said “connecting to server” for 20 seconds or so. Then the spinner and the message disappeared. There was no error message of any kind. I went through this procedure a couple of times but could never get connected to the ProVUE server to log in.

In the office there is a second MacBook Air M2, our office computer, and it’s been logged into panorama and using it for several months.

Any software installed on that Mac blocking outgoing internet connections e.g. LittleSnitch?

None that I know of. Little snitch is not installed, and if there’s some way to check for any blockages please let me know. The firewall is off.

You can click on the lock icon in the Site License window. If everything it is working it will display the server certificate information, as shown below.

If it’s not working it will display an error message with information about the problem.

Back on her Mac (she has tried logging in at home, and at the office, using those two different ISPs, with no success). I clicked the lock, and got the usual certificate window, looks fine. Trashed the prefs, rebooted, launched Pan X, clicked the lock again, certificate OK, then UNCHECKED the “Use secure connection…” checkbox. Then I entered our Email address and Password, with the PW shown, and tried to Log On.

No change, it spun and said “contacting server” for about 15 seconds, then that message and the spinner disappeared.

Pan 10.2.0.b33 (4268) on M2 AirBook with macOS 13.3.1 Ventura

After rebooting and launching, an error showed up, see image below, and my final attempt following the images:

I then installed the latest Pan X [ 10.2.0.b34 (4398) ], trashed the prefs again, and rebooted in SAFE MODE. Checked the certificate, looked fine, logged in again, no change. After the spinner and message disappeared, the Log In window was still there, with the Email and PW showing in the fields. No error messages showed up this time.

We currently have four other Mac notebooks connected to our Pan account, some M2s and some Intel.

The only thing I can think of that you haven’t tried would be to set up another user account on the computer (not a Panorama account, but a new user account), and see if that fixes the problem.

Yep, that worked, but of course doesn’t fix the problem. I first tried the guest account, and was able to log into panorama. Then I created a new account, and that one was also able to log into Panorama. And I should mention that before I did any of these I deleted the Panorama preferences from the user’s main account. So yes, we succeeded to log into Panorama from this AirBook, but ideally we would like to figure out what’s wrong with the user’s main account that’s blocking or interfering with the connection to the panorama server.

When I logged back into the main account, we had exactly the same problem, the connecting to server spinner spun for 10 or 15 seconds, and then just stopped, with no error message or feedback. I also tried logging in after a safe boot, but it didn’t make any difference, the problem was still there.

As I mentioned, this user migrated from her previous Intel MacBook, and I’m pretty sure she doesn’t want to delete her main account and have to start over and put in all her settings, but thank you very much Jim for this suggestion that gives us a new clue. If anybody has anything else we could try to do in the main account to find out why we are not getting through to the Panoramas server, I would of course appreciate any suggestions. I’m wondering about deleting Network preferences, for instance, and will try to research that, but wanted to see if anyone knows anything more specific about that possibility.

Thanks again!

If this was my computer I would bite the bullet and start over. Who knows what is wrong with that account, you could spend additional hours, weeks or months and get nowhere. At least starting over with a new account will take a relatively fixed amount of time – you take the hit and move on, and you can move on with confidence that there aren’t continuing booby traps in the system. The symptom you happen to be seeing now may not be the only actual problem.

I’m facing the same problem - can’t connect to the Panorama server. I made several temporary accounts on my MacBook. I can connect to the server with an account in Latin, but I can’t if the account is in Cyrillic.

I have changed my Full name from Cyrillic to Latin as described in this article. Nothing else. Now I can access the Panorama X server.

That simply means you typed in different characters into the Full name field, right? There’s no Cyrillic mode or anything like that, it’s just different Unicode characters. I am very puzzled as to why it would matter - any Unicode character should work as far as I know. I’ve spent an hour just now looking to find some reason for it to not work, and can’t find any. There don’t appear to be any other Panorama users with Cyrillic names (as best as I can tell you are the first Panorama user in Ukraine - thank you and bless you), but there are definitely other users with names that contain non ASCII characters.

Is Panorama X working for you at this time? You have a paid account, but as far as I can tell you are not logged on to any computers right now. Usually my recommendation would be to log on and stay logged on. Usually the only reason to ever log off is if you are disposing of a computer (selling, discarding, etc.).

I suddenly couldn’t login this morning. Trashing the com.provue.PanoramaX.plist (as you suggested) solved the problem.