A bit of a crash log

I know this may not be very informative, but this bit was returned when Beta 10.2 crashed as I was inputting some data in a procedure:

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x00007ffee675afb8
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

VM Regions Near 0x7ffee675afb8:
MALLOC_SMALL 7fbdc3000000-7fbdc3800000 [ 8192K] rw-/rwx SM=PRV
–> STACK GUARD 7ffee2f5b000-7ffee675b000 [ 56.0M] —/rwx SM=NUL stack guard for thread 0
Stack 7ffee675b000-7ffee6f5b000 [ 8192K] rw-/rwx SM=ALI thread 0

Application Specific Information:
Performing @selector(pushButtonAction-1EB8692A-7040-41D3-8D0B-8CB0E25F4D05-73754-00013E7D5F06FBF4:) from sender PVButtonView 0x7fbd854eeb00

Upon pressing the button, the procedure makes an API call. That would take some time. I have a suspicion that if something takes a while, multitasking by the system may get things out of sync, but I am not sophisticated enough to know for sure. That could be a MacOS problem, as I think it sometimes happens elsewhere.

I’m not sure what you mean by this. Panorama makes many API calls in response to pretty much any action you take. It’s quite possible that a single click could result in tens of thousands of API calls. If an action does anything at all, it is making API calls.

Maybe you mean that your code makes an API call? I’m not sure what that means either, since Panorama code can’t directly make an API call, though most statements do make API calls in the course of performing their task – if not directly, then to update the display once they are done. In fact, even calculating a formula uses API calls.

My code makes an API call to an internet service I am subscribing to. I guess I should have been more clear about that.

If this is happening repeatedly you could use the new instrumentation feature to try to pin down the exact step where the program stopped. If you are using the url(, loadurl( or posturl( function then Panorama will stop and wait for the reply from the remote server. It will keep waiting either until the reply arrives or until the specified timeout is exceeded (in which case it will return an error). Under the hood you are correct that macOS is multi-tasking so that other programs can run while Panorama is waiting, but I doubt this is the cause of the problem. Panorama uses the same code for internet access as Safari, Mail, and virtually every other Mac (and even iOS) program uses, it’s pretty bullet proof.

And of course, right after I read that, Safari crashed. On my new computer, with barely anything on it!