Let me start with a disclaimer. If everyone was seeing the same thing I am, I expect the forum would be lit up with it. That means that there is probably something peculiar about my system or installation, but I have yet to figure out what.
First, the behavior. I am seeing several things, but I'd like to start simply. I can search and select subsets of records using a procedure all day without trouble. When I try to use the find/select dialog, it always fails. Sometimes it will show the correct selection preview, sometimes not. It doesn't matter whether it is set to search in all fields or just the current one. Clicking any of the buttons to execute the dialog gives error messages. Most often, clicking find or select results in "Resume statement failed (no Pause).", while clicking "cancel" results in "Dialog program error--dialog will be aborted." In no case is the find/select dialog dismissed, or the search executed (the error dialogs do go away). After I fiddle with this for a while, it will either crash hard (no warning, just gone), or I will do a force quit.
I have tried changing the preference settings (and the preference dialog does not seem to be working properly for channels), with no luck. I've tried reloading the software. I've tried checking the database for corruption by sorting each field (seems to work fine). I've tried several different database files, including one that had no Pan 6 imported content, and was very simple.
I do have a relatively new Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015) since about the end of March. The program is installed in the applications folder for the entire machine, not just in the one for my account. I did the most recent security upgrade for Sierra (12.4 to 12.5) a day or so ago. I think I was seeing this before the upgrade, but my memory is a bit hazy, as I am back from a week away.
I am also seeing strange behavior from <== and/or runfieldsideeffects, but that's another post, unless you think that will be helpful in fixing the search dialog.
I'd love to get this fixed, so I can go back to converting my Pan 6 stuff to Pan X.
Thanks to all for your attention to this and other problems.