Refreshing a form

So I take it that in Pan X, putting a text display object on a form that covers the entire form, sending it to the back and using Showvariables Nameoftextdisplayobject no longer redraws a form, correct?

That’s correct.

The fact that in the past updating one object would also update other overlaying objects wasn’t really designed on purpose, it was a side effect of the fact that on the original MacOS, applications would draw directly to the screen. On OS X that was changed to eliminate screen flashing. I could probably get this to work in Panorama X, but there would be a huge performance penalty.

In Panorama 6 there were situation where this was the only way you could get certain types of objects to redraw. In Panorama X that is no longer the case, you can directly make any kind of object redraw without resorting to overlapping objects, even if you don’t want to display the variable that is changing.

admin http://forum.provue.com/u/admin
July 29
In Panorama X that is no longer the case, you can directly make any kind of object redraw without resorting to overlapping objects, even if you don’t want to display the variable that is changing.

Ok, but what about 50 objects on the same form.

I can’t answer that intelligently without an explanation of why you want to redisplay 50 objects with values that haven’t changed.

Let’s say I have 24 text display objects that need to be updated depending on what date was picked from a calendar. I’m updating old forms and, yes, I could probably use a matrix object instead (and I probably will in the future), but I’m trying not to redo the entire file’s worth of forms with matrices just yet. Everything works, I just can’t get the TDOs to redraw without switching to graphics mode and back.

Also, does “WindowtoBack” not work with secret windows anymore? WindowtoBack “Appts:Secret” or any other “file:Secret” throws an error “Can not send window to back. Window Appts:Secret does not exist”.

Thank you.

Well, these objects must have something in them that has changed. Sounds like probably variables. So you need to use the showvariables statement to update them. Presumably you have 24 assignments to these variables, so you also need a showvariables with 24 items.

Secret windows aren’t actual windows. So that error message is correct.

I’m wondering if your application is so old that it perhaps has forms named Secret in it. That would go back to Panorama 2.

It doesn’t seem to work in Panorama 6 either. There is no error, but it doesn’t do anything either. I tried this procedure, starting in a database named Test Fields.

Window "Test Fields2:Secret"
F="Hello"
WindowToBack "Test Fields2:Secret"
G = "World"

Both assignments were made in Test Fields2

That’s what I would have expected. The windowtoback statement works on real windows, and a secret window isn’t a window.

But maybe it does work for Jeff. Maybe his database has a form named Secrets in his Appts database, and he has opened that in a real window. That’s how Power Team did it in Panorama 2, before Panorama 3 came out with the secret windows feature.

Yep , that’s the situation now that I think about it.