Keeping track of modified databases / procedures

I am slogging my way through the conversion of many Pan 6 databases to Pan X. Keeping track of which databases I’ve modified where and when is a challenge (multiple users, multiple computers, etc. plus working on my laptop at home in the evening and then bringing updated DBs back to work). Is there any sneaky way for a Pan database to ‘know’ that one or more procedures has been modified, or a form added, or other substantive change made? I’ve found that just checking the last date modified doesn’t always do the trick.

In my dreams there’d be a little text object or something that would say “Database last modified at ______” with date and time to the minute.

Possible?

thanks
bk

Add a timestamp field to each database?

It looks like the time stamp is used for tracking changes to records. Is that correct? Is there a way to use if to track changes to procedures?

There’s no time stamp on individual forms or procedures.

I don’t understand why the last data modified doesn’t do the trick. This date will be updated any time a change is saved to the disk.

It’s probably overkill for your purposes, but what I do is set up a Git repo, and export the database to a blueprint whenever significant changes are made. That way I have a complete historical record of all changes to the database, which I find very handy when writing the release notes for a new version.

If you want to learn more about Git, here’s a place to start.

There are many books, web articles and even youtube videos on the topic. Git repos can be hosted on GitHub or BitBucket, or on your own computer. As you know, ProVUE uses BitBucket, for one thing they have an excellent free option (GitHub is also free for open source projects). You can run Git from the command line, but I like the free Sourcetree program from Atlassian. There are other free and paid programs out there, and Xcode supports Git as well (free).

A full source control system is probably way more than @barry_kahn had in mind, but it is worth looking into for really large/complex projects.