Fieldtype "float" does not work in Procedure

I am having problems with a Procedure that should be adding Fields and making that Field Type Number (Float). My fieldtype “float” commands don’t change the field from it’s default of Text to Numbers (Float). Shouldn’t the fieldtype “float” in the Procedure make the Field Type a Numbers (Float)? I need it to be float for simple computations (at least I think that’s right). It has worked for me in the past in Procedures. I’m baffled.

Here is the Procedure:

addfield “PV”
fieldtype “float”
addfield “1 yr Fee”
fieldtype “float”
formulafill “PV"*.015
addfield “RMD+Fee”
fieldtype “float”
formulafill «RMD Current Year»+“1 yr Fee”
addfield “Cash”
fieldtype “float”
addfield “SELL”
fieldtype “float”
formulafill “RMD+Fee”-“Cash”

Here is the Procedure again with the problems:

addfield “PV”

fieldtype “float” : it is NOT making this Field Type: Numbers (FLOAT). When I go back to the field properties it’s showing as Type: Text (which is the default I guess)*

addfield “1 yr Fee”

fieldtype “float” : it’s NOT making this Field Type: FLOAT When I go back to the filed properties it’s showing as Type: Text*

formulafill “PV"*.015 : it’s not computing correctly: there is NO VALUE in the “PV” Field (I wish to enter values later) I want the formula to compute when I enter a value into the PV Field. It simply enters 0.015 in 1 yr Fee Field

addfield “RMD+Fee” : this does not work: it will NOT ADD this Field! Why??? I’ve tried giving this field a different name: like “RMD and Fee”. It still won’t add the field.*

fieldtype “float”

formulafill «RMD Current Year»+“1 yr Fee”

addfield “Cash”

fieldtype “float” (this works: the Type is indeed Number (Float). Perplexing.

addfield “SELL”

fieldtype “float”

formulafill “RMD n Fee”-“Cash” : I get error message: “cannot subtract number from text”

Help anyone? Thanks. Ed

You’re missing one step. The float is being applied to whatever field is active when the procedure begins. The procedure never leaves that field.

After adding each field the procedure needs to move to the field:

addfield “PV”
Field “PV”
fieldtype “float”

You’re also likely to find that your name with + in it isn’t going to work too well.

Your formulafills won’t get any results either since the PV field and others used in the formulas have just been added and are empty.

There seems to be a cosmetic bug with the Properties Panel when you change the field type procedurally. The type actually does change but is not reflected in the Properties panel until you go to another field and then back again. That is the way it is working for me.

James, thanks so much about the “Field PV”. I actually knew that! (brain lapse)

I changed “RMD+Fee” to “Total Fee”. I’ve tried changing the name of that field to several diffent names to no avail.

It STILL won’t add this field. I get the error message:

“Total Fee does not exist in database RMD Pan X template” (which is the name of the database). Well, of course it doesn’t exist. I’m trying to add it. I still can’t add it! Grrr. Thanks again

Thanks much

The following Procedure works when segregated from the rest of the Procedure:
addfield “Total Fee”
Field “Total Fee”
fieldtype “float”

Thanks