Checkbook balance recalculation

When I run “Field Balance Formulafill Credit-Debit”, it only calculates the credit debit difference, but does not start with the previous line balance. How do I get a running balance total?

I need to call up the 1st starting balance, run Field Balance Formulafill Credit-Debit, then use new balance for next line calculation, etc.

Just recording transactions in a register, with added benefit of being able to insert an old event , then recalculate the entire database. I just can’t figure out how to write the commands.

Any ideas

1 Like

You will probably find the runningtotal command to be useful.

As Dave said, you’ll want to use the runningtotal command.

Here’s the procedure I use. First two lines just make sure it’s in chronological order. The last line takes you to the end to easily see your balance:

Field Date
Sortup
Field Balance
FormulaFill Credit-Debit
RunningTotal
lastrecord

This may be the wrong place to mention this, but I’m having a similar problem. I cannot get the balance number to stop displaying no decimal point and two following zeros if it is a whole number. This never happened in OverVUE or Panorama 6. I’m stumped, and I refuse to send an invoice without the correct number being displayed. Can anyone help?

1. Give the floating point field in the data sheet an output pattern. You can do this by editing the Field Properties. (Double click on the field header or use the Properties icon in the toolbar.
  2. Let the field in your invoice form use the data editing attributes of your data field or use a formula with a pattern( function.

Thanks. Apologies in advance for now being a power user, so this is probably something basic that I just can’t find in the new software.

I’ve had the following output pattern #,.## for all numeric cells which, if memory serves, has worked since OverVUE. The cell on the form that is used to show the balance due is set to display the last cell in the data sheet, although I’m not sure how to force it to use the pattern( function that you suggest. All it reads now in the form is «balance» and that cell has the output pattern noted above.

The weird thing is that if there are two digits to the right of the decimal point, they show properly, provided they are not two zeroes or a number with a zero in the second column, such as .60, so, for example, .04 displays properly.

Is this a Text Display object? I think it must be, since a Text Editor object automatically uses the pattern specified for the field. But a Text Display object doesn’t, so, the formula needs to be

pattern(balance,"#,.##")

(By the way, this is not a change from Panorama 6, this formula was also required to specify the pattern when using a Text Display object in that version.)

Since your field name has no punctuation or spaces, the chevrons (« and ») are not required, though you can include them if you want.

If his Panorama 6 field had been a money, or 2 digits field, the default would have been to display the two digits after the decimal point, even if they were both zeroes. The change is that those fields are floating point in Panorama X.

Thanks a million, Jim.

I tried inserting the pattern as you suggested, but I got an error message. That said, I changed the object from a Text Display to a Text Editor, and it worked perfectly.

As long as I have you here, just a quick note to let you know that I’ve enjoyed your software for decades and appreciate the time and dedication you and your crew have put into it. It’ll take me a while to learn PanX, and at this stage of my life, I’ll likely never use even a small fraction of the features it now offers.

I must say that as I’ve been playing with it, I miss the automatic guide lines that used to appear when aligning cells while building a form in graphic mode. It made the process incredibly accurate and fast.

Again, thanks for the help with this problem. It’s a relief.

Best regards,

Mark

I think there may have been some miscommunication here. I’ll bet your text display was set for literal text, while Jim was assuming that it was set for formula.

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 10.28.49 AM

Thanks, Dave. I opened another DB that I’d not yet updated, and you’re correct. Live and learn …

Dave, you have jogged my mind out of it’s groove. I think this topic has come up before, but before your comment just now it never really registered with me that this is definitely a bug. When merging a field into literal text, Panorama should of course use whatever output pattern has been set up for that field. I have made this change so this will be fixed in Panorama X 10.2, and it will no longer be necessary to use the pattern( function (unless you want to use a pattern different than the one the field is set up for).