Any .keydown plans?

I see in Slack in March that this auto procedure may not be supported, and I find that it doesn’t work in X yet. Assuming that it’s still on the never-never list, I’ll have to find a workaround now so that I can continue with my conversion.

Actually this may be no bad thing as it seems in my brief experience with X that it is noticeably slower than the blazing 6, and imposing that extra overhead every keystroke can’t help.

David Duncan

It typically would not be wise to judge the speed of a beta version as there may be debug code running that will later be removed. Then too, optimization of some processes does not happen until everything is first working. Speed often picks up after the code is complete. First you make it work, then you make it fast.

Robert Ameeti
(949) 422-6866

I am still not planning to implement .KeyDown. Vacuuming up all keystrokes in the entire database is a pretty awful feature, really. Thinking up .KeyDown was not my finest hour.

The new definehotkeys statement allows you to surgically specify code for specific keys in a specific context.

For example Panorama’s Find/Select dialog uses this feature to create three hotkeys that operate specifically when the Find/Select dialog window is open – they don’t affect any other windows, and they only affect three specific keys combinations. All other key combinations work normally.

definehotkeys "window",
        "FUNCTION-DOWN",{settrigger "Button.DownArrow" resume ""},
        "FUNCTION-UP",{settrigger "Button.UpArrow" resume ""},
        "RETURN",{settrigger "Button.OK" resume ""}

“Alas, poor Yorick!” My dear .KeyDown procedure you will be missed. I used you many times and never abused you. In every case the vast majority of keystrokes passed silently and quickly through your code fully unburdened. The strokes that were trapped for processing were usually for a single entry in a single form and otherwise never caused a speed bump in performance. I’m sure I can accomplish the same result directly in Panorama X code but I will miss my old friend to be sure.

Thanks, Jim made essentially the same point during one of the courses last year. He also said that 6 may turn out to be faster than X due to the adoption of Unicode, but said he’d done no speed optimisation, at that point anyway.

David Duncan