Zipinfoplus statement

Reviving this because Denali has the previous version which no longer works. This code uses a different website and works fine.

I think you are saying I need to incorporate the code in your post from June 19 into Panorama X. Have I got that right?

Yes, that is correct.

I put this code into Panorama but I think I am going to remove it because I just realized that this is not using the USPS web site, but rather a commercial web site that as far as I can tell is not free. If one wanted to pay for this data it does look like zip-codes.com has a nice JSON API that Panorama X could access very easily, with no mucking about trying to parse a web page result that might change over time.

That does use their page, and as I said a while ago, I recognize that it is not ideal, but using the web page is free.

I have also seen an API from smartystreets.com, and was planning on using that. These APIs usually have various payment levels depending on the amount one uses them, with a certain amount of usage for free, enough for my purposes.

I am working on replacing my stock price procedure with an API, since the web site I was using was discontinued (just in time to miss all the Game Stop shenanigans), but because the information comes in different formats, and my innate laziness, I have realized that I need to redo a lot of things to get it to work the way that I want it. But once I work my way through it, I should have routines that will help people access internet APIs.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they weren’t monitoring that for robot usage. In any case it is one thing for you to use that personally here and there, and another for ProVUE to officially put that into Panorama. If I were zip-codes.com I would be very unhappy about another company officially facilitating extracting data from their server. I’m not sure if there would be any legal exposure in doing that, and I don’t intend to find out the hard way!

I understand. I will work on getting sample code an API to work, with the first thing directing users to the website to get a key if they do not have one already.

zip-codes.com’s API is free for 250 lookups per month. That is where the info in my procedure comes from. Like similar services, you pay more for more lookups.

zip-code.com, which is what you posted, is different and does not offer the service as far as I can tell. I am not certain what it does.

In any case, zipinfoplus does not work in Panorama 6 or X any longer.

Oops, I meant zip-codes.com, that was a typo, which I have gone back and corrected.