Why isn't entry box open when gettext is invoked?

I just installed this routine in my calendar database when I saw GetText wasn’t opening ready to edit. It makes entering info for the text displays look much more professional than before. I did customize the parameter “theText” to show the existing value as the default. If it is blank, if you hit the enter button or ok button, your prior data is erased. This way, it reverts to what was there before…

Thanks to Gary and the others who contributed and elucidated the various aspects of getting it to work.

This is a bug that Apple introduced a while ago, I think macOS 10.13. It worked in earlier versions of macOS.

With help from an Apple engineer a workaround has been found for this, the fix will be included in Panorama X 10.2.

I also have found this “gettext” problem so irritating that I don’t use “gettext” in my procedures. Instead, I use:

supergettext (yourfieldname),{title="(yourfieldname)" height=100 width=150 font=Monaco style=bold size=18 titleheight=5 buttons=“OK;CANCEL”}
if info(“DialogTrigger”) = “CANCEL”
STOP
endif
This gives me an open entry box. Pressing ENTER once will not close the box, allowing you to add to, or correct the entry. Pressing ENTER again closes the box and makes the change to the field.