TextEditor, Auto Unlock, Disappearing Data

Every time a new version of PanX is released, I check to see if this phenomenon still exists. It does as of version b28.
In a shared database with autounlock set (5 seconds in the example), and assuming a TextEditor linked to a field, the data typed into the text editor will disappear when the Autounlock period expires if the text editor remains the active object. You can type the data into the datasheet and it will be saved when the autounlock period expires.
Shouldn’t the TextEditor act the same as the datasheet in this regard? I can’t think of any reason why not.
Users working in an office environment may lose data; they have many opportunities to be distracted while entering data and they sometimes switch to a different task without finishing an edit.
I did a screen recording to illustrate this; and until I learn how to make it upload able here, I put it on YouTube: PanX: Disappearing Data from TextEditor when AutoUnlock is set - YouTube

Yes, of course. However…

In a shared database with autounlock set (5 seconds in the example), and assuming a TextEditor linked to a field, the data typed into the text editor will disappear when the Autounlock period expires if the text editor remains the active object.

I cannot duplicate this. I set up the exact scenario you had in your video, and it worked perfectly. The data was saved and uploaded to the server every time, and the data sheet also updated to show the new data. I could make a video but I’m sure you believe me.

And I believe you. Clearly there is some problem in some scenario, but there must be more going on because the basic scenario works. Perhaps there is some option set on the Text Editor causing this. Is there any code attached to this Text Editor?

I use two servers, one on my local network and one remote, where I connect to the network with a VPN. The testing I reported originally was on my home server.

When I decided to also test a similar database connected to the remote server, it worked correctly. Both the test objects (TEOs) have the same settings-just the default setting with the field name inserted.

I continue to try to identify something that changes this behavior. My biggest surprise is that I have seen a report from someone else describing the same issue.

The auto-timeout feature we are discussing is entirely client-side. The server isn’t involved at all. Certainly the server has no idea whether text is being edited in the data sheet vs. in a form. So I think it is unlikely that the differentiator has anything to do with the server connection method. Also, I did my test with a server on the local network, FWIW.

Looking very closely at the auto-unlock code, I did just now find a bug, but not the one you are reporting. If a database has multiple form windows open, auto-unlock might not do anything at all depending on the order of the windows. This doesn’t cause disappearing data, it just does nothing (you can still hit the return key and continue normally). I’ve now fixed this.