Select Error in Procedures

Opening my Pan 6 files in latest Pan X trial shows errors in many procedure. The Check Procedure indicates a “Syntax” error but there is no Select Error as in Pan 6 to to show you the actual location of the error in the procedure.

Panorama X indicates the location of an error in various ways - here are three examples:

Firstly, when I click on the Check icon, the error message for a valid statement with inadequate parameters tells you the name of the statement so you can search for it:

Secondly, when I click on the Check icon, the error message for an invalid statement tells you the name of the statement so you can search for it but it also tells you where it occurs - see the shaded line number:

Thirdly, when I click on the Check icon, the procedure compiles correctly but when I run it, the error message tells you the name of the problem variable and you can search for it:

and, if you leave the procedure open when you run it, you will see the problem line highlighted:

Sometimes, however, a line of code will be highlighted but the actual error occurs a few lines earlier - these can be harder to locate.

The Check Procedure button normally highlights the location of the error, so there is no need for a separate Select Error command. Also, if you click on the error message at the bottom of the window, that will also jump to the location of the error – clicking there does the same thing that Select Error did in Panorama 6.

There are unfortunately some situations where Panorama doesn’t correctly figure out the location of the error, so the location of the error isn’t highlighted correctly, for example the “not enough parameters” error in Michael’s post. This can also happen with mismatched quotes, parentheses or if/endif pairs. The same thing would also happen when using Panorama 6.