Related() function ignoring first record in database

Apologies if this has been noted. I can’t find anything in the forum but I missed the last half-hour of last Tuesday’s session.

I would use the lookup( function:

lookup("Test",Field1,Query,Field2)

to fetch data from field Field2 of database “Test”, from the record whose field Field1 equals the contents of the variable Query.

To achieve the same using related(, the most literal equivalent seems to be:

related("Field2","database","Test","source key","Field1","key","Query")

That works except when the match is the first record in the database, when I get the error:

Related data error, database Test does not contain a match for A1

(where both the variable Query and field Field1 of the first record are both “A1”).

I first found this matching the first record of a large pre-existing database. So I tried moving that first record down one place, no longer got the error, but now (not surprisingly) got the error if Query matched the new first record instead.

Creating a small test database, the same applies: that related( function fails with the same error whenever it should have found the related field in whichever is first record at the time.

You should be able to watch the recording of that now, but… I did not get to the related( function. I will be covering that on Tuesday. Looks like that will be a popular topic!

Yes indeed, you’ve found a definite bug. By @CooperT rules, you get a gold star :star2:

<smug>Thank you!</smug>