Problems fixing Code-7 error when re-installing Pan6

When my MacBook Pro came back from a repair at Apple, my flash drive had been erased (Apple had checked with me before doing that.). To re-install Pan6, I needed to fix the Code-7 error by adding myself with read and write privileges to the startup drive. I have done that many times in the past on computers. But I, the only admin for my computer, get a message saying I do not have permissions to make that change! (Using OX 10.13.2) Does anyone know how to fix this other than enabling the root user?

Over the past 3 years or so there have been 2 or 3 users that simply couldn’t get this done without enabling the root user. I have no idea why those computers were different (or if these users simply weren’t performing the steps correctly, but since you’ve already done it before, I’m sure you are doing it correctly).

In any case, there is nothing bad about enabling the root user, we used to tell everyone to do it that way before I learned about the adding the read/write privileges trick. In fact, considering the recent Apple security bug, maybe everyone should set up a root user and make sure it has a secure password.

Unfortunately, even as root I cannot alter the permissions on startup drive. Is this the end fo the line for Pan6 on this computer?

I don’t know if this will help or not, but permissions are still an issue on High Sierra even though Apple says they’re not. They’re confident enough that they’ve taken away the ability to repair them.

While working on another issue the other day, I found this on the Apple site: Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder

While I hadn’t’ knowingly changed anything on the Home folder, it worked to resolve my issue probably with this part:

Paste or type this command in Terminal, then press Return:
diskutil resetUserPermissions / id -u

No. Follow the old Tech Note and enable the root user temporarily for the registration.