Panorama X and Hindsight software

Hi Jim (Cook),
Thank you for sharing ImageLog. Is there any way to import images with file path names in bulk into the ImageLog database?
Thanks,
Jim

For many reasons Iā€™ve always preferred to keep the image name and the path in separate fields. When you import into ImageLog the path should go into the ImagePath field. If the path is to a folder nested in the same folder as the ImageLog you can use relative paths such as :Images:2018:October. That makes it very easy to move the entire enclosing folder without orphaning any logged images. Otherwise use full paths in the standard Mac format of : as the folder separator.

Hi Jim,
That makes perfect sense. I see I wasnā€™t clear with my initial question. I have a collection of photos that Iā€™d like to manage with ImageLog, but I donā€™t know how to import the file paths into Panorama. If I created a text file containing all the files names and imported that, would that do the trick? Iā€™m knee deep in the pdf of the old Handbook, reading up on Chapter 16: Images & Movies, and making some progress. But Iā€™m still in the weeds and, short of dragging each file into the ā€œDragReceiverObject,ā€ not sure how to do this in bulk.

The ā€˜trickā€™ is to have your text file set up with the image names, paths and other info, in separate fields. Thanks to the brilliant import built into Panorama X, you can specify what goes where in the ImageLog.

If youā€™re not familiar with it, see Text Import in Panorama Help. That may answer all of your questions.

Hi Jim,

Sounds like Iā€™m on the right track. Iā€™m familiar with Text Import.

Thank you!

Jim

JamesCook

November 8

JimA:
If I created a text file containing all the files names and imported that, would that do the trick?

The ā€˜trickā€™ is to have your text file set up with the image names, paths and other info, in separate fields. Thanks to the brilliant import built into Panorama X, you can specify what goes where in the ImageLog.

If youā€™re not familiar with it, see Text Import in Panorama Help. That may answer all of your questions.

This warms my heart :slight_smile:

I happen to know that you already have a very warm heart.

Thanks Jim! Truly appreciate any info! You know Iā€™m not technically inclinedā€¦ Regarding the ā€œGatekeeperā€ you mentioned, is this something simple to get around after a restart or should I just dedicate my computer to the existing operating systemā€¦ thanks! Apologize again for my lack of computer skillsā€¦ gk

You may not know it by name, but Gatekeeper is the one that pops up messages like ā€œyou downloaded something from the internet, are you sure you want to open it?ā€ So itā€™s just a matter of having to click OK once in a while to run Panorama 6 on Mojave.

Of course, keeping an old computer is always an option. I still have a couple around in order to use software from bygone eras.

Thank you Jim!!

I appreciate it. Love my Hindsight!

Greetings Jim,

There is brilliance here regarding you and Jim Rea and others on this forum.

This post is to say Thank you again for the 30 years of software to help us all. I bought InSight/InView from you on Sept. 11, 1992 and Iā€™m still using it to be organized and get paid.
Iā€™ve never been one of your ā€œstars of computingā€ customers and rely on you for that experience.

Iā€™ve reread your last email in Dec. 2016. We are back temporarily living in Croatia again and I donā€™t have an extra, older Apple computer here to operate your program so I will not update to Mojave for now. I am using Panorama 6.0.1 on High Sierra 10.13.6

When there is an option to keep my data from being captive, Iā€™ll more than welcome the news.

Take care and enjoy the festive season,

1 Like

Not wanting to end using Inview Iā€™ve been brainstorming: Would it be possible to install an OS (High Sierra or Mojave) onto a bootable thumbdrive that contained Panorama and Inview and still use it on the same computer that otherwise gets upgraded beyond Mojave? It would mean restarting with the thumbdrive anytime I wanted to use Inview but seems possible. Otherwise I may pick up an older MacBook Air for a couple hundred bucks and run it on there, just never update the OS. What do you think of either of these strategies? Would the bootable drive have serial number issues?

Thanks,
Patrick

I canā€™t vouch for the notability of your configuration but as long as that much works, I see no reason the rest wouldnā€™t. Hmm, maybe VMWareā€™s Fusion could allow you to run a second OS without having to reboot at all.

In my experience booting from a thumb stick is no joy, even if it is an USB 3 stick. So it is much better to keep a dedicated Mac with a system that will continue to run 32 bit apps.

I have extra hard drives with other systems and booting from them is easy.

Hi Jim, Its 4 degrees in Concord NH this morning. Finding this forum warms me up more than the roaring wood stove.
Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question: What controls Line Spacing in Reports? I changed hard drives and now my Estimates are double Line Spacing. Invoice line spacing is are fine.
Glad to hear you are working on new Contacts
Happy New Year
Mark

Hi Jim,
If youā€™re keeping a list of people who (DESPERATELY!) want a copy of your new Contacts program, please sign me up! I can probably muddle through invoicing with another program, but nothing even comes close to Contacts.
Thanks,

Brian Smale

Itā€™s the vertical height of the Data tile in an invoice or estimate that controls how far apart each line is printed. If yours are both the same, yet one is spacing differently, check to see if youā€™re actually using the same font in both. Sometimes and odd font can trigger unexpected spacing.

Thanks Jim - Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. thanks for your help - Mark

Hi Jim,
Just checking in to see if youā€™ve made any progress on the new Contacts database.

Thanks,

Brian Smale