Moving through records with up/down arrows

I’m confused about shomething… with a form open (not data sheet) if I press on the up or down arrow on the keyboard SOMETIMES I scroll through records as expected, other times I just get a warning beep and nothing happens. I can’t figure out why this is.

You will get a beep when you try to go up from the top visible record or down from the bottom one. Perhaps you have only one visible record?

That’s not the case here.

Make sure all records are selected and all summaries are removed. As i recall, the up and down arrows are blocked when they encounter am unselected summary record.

cw

I have found the same problem with arrow keys not moving to next/previous record. Arrow keys work if I click on the form each time before pressing up/down. Arrows work as expected on the datasheet. Is there something that would be causing the form to be deactivated to keyboard input (an object on the form, maybe) each time the arrow key is pressed?

If any Text Editor is active, the up/down arrows will work within the text editor, and won’t move up or down to different records. If that is the case, you must click on the form but outside of any text editor object, then the up and down arrows will go back to moving from record to record.

After editing is terminated (return or tab) in a Text Editor Display, the up/down arrows do not respond as expected by moving to the next/previous record, instead you get a warning beep.

Is the Text Editor still active after editing is terminated? If so, I tried using closeactiveobject without luck. As mentioned before, using the mouse and clicking in an empty area does the trick, but, Is there a way to return control to the up/down arrows programmatically?

You can assign the arrows as HotKeys like this:

definehotkeys "FileGlobal", "UPARROW", |||SuperObjectClose UpRecord|||
definehotkeys "FileGlobal", "DOWNARROW", |||SuperObjectClose DownRecord|||

You will be giving up the abilty to use those keys with a text editor.

If closeactiveobject doesn’t do it, then there is no way to do it.

Actually, this is already an open item in the issue tracker.

Thank you Jim, I decided to use the “command-UPARROW” alternative for now because of this.