Empty text display won't shrink

Yes, that was what Scott needed.

Cool. Given your overall workflow, this sounds like a reasonable temporary solution.

I’d like to suggest another workaround: If a Text Display object never shrinks to less than 1 line, make sure that your “Notes” always go into the second line!

Here is my test example: A test database with 2 records, one with Notes, one without Notes. The Text Display object is set to “Formula”, Expandable, Expand/Shrink, and Collapse Blank Lines.

The formula calculates a first line, followed by a carriage return, and then the contents of the Notes field in the second line. If the Notes field is empty, the Text Display object shrinks in the printed form to 1 line. You could hide this first line of the Text Display object behind other objects.

The screenshot shows the data sheet and the form (in Graphics Mode to show the formula); then it shows 2 Preview windows: the Print Previews of the 1st and the 2nd record.

1 Like

The formula of the Text Display object in my example needs an improvement: The second line should appear only, when there is text in the Notes field. You can change the first line part to whatever you want.)

"" +?(length(Notes)>0, cr() + Notes,"")

Thanks, Kurt. Your solution is more elegant than mine and keeps the information together in one record whereas mine splits it into two parts. I’ll implement that shortly